"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Overthink?



"Don't believe everything you think" Unknown


I enjoy painting Kindness Rocks and hiding them out on the trails. If you ever find one I would love a pic!

Lately, I have heard "Well, I think...." echoing a lot from my lips.
I have tried to "think" why I keep saying this.
  • Am I not confident enough in my statements? 
  • Am I not secure enough in my communications? 
  • Am I just not sure what I am talking about at all?

Think on this:
I have to remind myself that what I do know is my information. As long as I am not hurting anyone with my information then it really doesn't matter if that information is even right or wrong. (Or hurting myself)
I have to keep my ego in check. 
I have a encyclopedia of books, training journals, magazines and now I have been enjoying Podcasts. (Thank you Claudia)

My Favorite Running Podcasts:
"Trail Talk"
"Training for Ultra"
"The Runners World"

My Favorite Running Books
Relentless Forward Progress, Bryon Powell
Runners World Big Book of Marathon Training
Hal Koerners Field Guide to Ultra Running
Believe Training Journal **


Overthinking: 
I made food for my aide station...Pizza was so good after 26 miles!

Kris, Claudia and I. 

This week I had a 5 hour run planned. I had planned it for over a week. Typically, I would fret and get all flustered on my longs runs. I would think it to death until I was in panic mode over it. 
To prevent myself from this chaos I prepared myself all week for it:
  1. I made a aide station with some of my favorite goodies in it. 
  2. I reached out to my running partners to have them run with me. 
  3. I set the day aside so I could fully focus on taking care of this long run and recovery of it. 
So even when I woke up to snow and cold I was not rattled. I felt focused and prepared. I was looking forward to running, I was looking forward to moms famous "No bake" cookies at mile 16. I was looking forward to running and laughing with my running friends. 

Beating a dead horse as the saying goes is pointless. Its a lot of unnecessary work that is counterproductive. 
I have had countless DR. appointments over the last couple months. Question marks have raised, voices have chattered but one thing I have not done is overthink. I just keep digging in and tackling the next thing. 
Overthinking fogs your critical thinking. 
My thinking is comical most of the time. I get nervous I find myself thinking of the "Funny" in it. 
A few weeks ago, we had a really bad snow storm invade our long day. I had been watching the weather all week trying to prepare for it. But living on a prayer, I kept thinking we weren't going to get the storm. WE DID. Lacey and I got in a full blown argument over where we were going to run. I wanted it all indoor. She wanted outdoor. I had overthought the weather with fear. We compromised, split the run and Lacey made me promise "No Complaining". 
And it was a great run. 

"Don't believe everything you think" Unknown

With "No Wimps" less than 2 weeks away, I have hit my peak week for training. 
I have an awesome running journal that has you do this little 5 minute exercise. "Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write down all your negative thoughts..."
I still have dialogue that questions who I am and what I can do. So I did.
Am I strong enough? 
Why is my body failing me?
Does God not want me running? 

BUT..on the next page they have you list "Positive Rebuttals". 
I LOVED this. Sometimes our negative thoughts "steal our attention". The journal asks you to be mindful of them. I loved this! 
I challenge you to try this. It was a fun task to try. 


Rundown:
April 1-7= 52.65 miles
April 8-14= 64.75
This week, Taper. 
Last week, I had my first iron transfusion. I can honestly say it is amazing how much better I feel. 
I can breath when I am running. I am not struggling to catch my breath and left feeling discouraged as all my friends are laughing and talking and I want to walk before we hit 1 mile. 
I am sleeping a lil better and my legs are not convulsing all night long. Today, I went out for a small run, 4 easy miles and I was running the pace it normally takes me 4 miles to get to. 
I felt hope. I felt strength. 
I was reminded ...In weakness am  strong...Grace. 

Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment