"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, October 22, 2017

10 things you didn't know about Hennipen

I am 2 weeks post Hennipen100.
The fog has been lifted. I have remembered things I thought I never knew, I wish I would have forgotten some things and some details I got wrong all together!

Lacey helped me put some of the pieces together. She also shared some questions she thought might be good in this post answered.

1. What did you eat during your ultra?
Aid stations, They were wonderful. They even gave out FREE HUGS. 

I brought with me, fresh berries, Starbucks Salted caramel expresso and gum. Andy opened the berries up for me somewhere between mile 40-50. These were like MANA from heaven. I used the aid stations for most of my nutrition. The winds and rain made me cold, I really enjoyed warm chicken noodle soup anywhere I could get it. I have had good luck with boiled potatoes with salt, peanut butter and jelly and grilled cheese sandwiches. I took a bag grapes eating most of them as I walked and sharing the rest. As I approached 65 miles my belly took a turn. Inside Out! Matt gave me 2 Gu's which he had to later follow up with two tums. I only remember one chocolate espresso GU but I remember waking UP from them and also getting SICK. Lacey and Matt made me drink coffee through the night to wake me up. The caffeine did miracles. I DID NOT want to drink it, but I was so thankful they MADE ME. The also fed me shortbread cookies and potato chips  at 3 in the morning to go with the warm coffee.

2. CLOTHING....
Dona Jo Skirts

I had 3 outfit changes.

A) My morning outfit, LuLulemon skirt, sports bra, buff and tank. The skirt was great until it WASN'T! At mile 50-ish my back was hurting from the elastic cutting into my waist.
B) My second outfit. DONA JO. This running skirt fit like a glove. I fell in love with the fabric, the fit and the design. I loved it soo much I bought Lacey one so we could be twinsies. HOWEVER, as cute as it was. My poor toosh. I chaffed. Something I have never done. 2 weeks later my bootie is still recovering! The price you pay!
C) I had one last outfit. I am very sentimental. I took something from each of my boys, I took Austin's "Free Hugs" pajama pants to rest in after my finish. He was supposed to be there but plans took a turn, and I took his Pj's to feel him with me. Such a sap.
* Another mistakes I made, I started out in low socks. They kept falling down and getting dirt in my shoes. I switched them out to 6 inch mild compression socks. These socks were perfect at mile 50 with a fresh pair of Hokas.
I knew I was going to look terrible at some point. After the race, a few days later, Lacey says "Nita, aren't you glad you wore those cute skirts, because if you were going to look bad at least your outfit was cute!"

3. Where did you go to the bathroom?
I attempted the port a john but the wait was so long I lead 2 other ladies, one was Kris, behind it, warning the rest in line we would politely do our business behind in the woods.
I only used a conventional bathroom one time. I did my business alone then called Andy to help me change my clothes. I was so exhausted. He was lucky he didn't have to fish me out of the out house.
I counted, that I remember 9 potty stops. I never poo poo-ed my pants but several times I thought I better check!

4. PRO's and CON'S on training for 100 miles. 
PRO'S:
We had shirts made for our tribe. #itsgoodtraining We all went to dinner the night of the race, wearing our shirts. We are just missing Claudia. 
  • I had a great tribe to run with. I meshed two of my running groups together about 9 months ago to create one big group. "Team Squishy Toes."
Everything on this cheer board had a part in my summer training. 

  • I ate guiltlessly for 6 months.
  • I learned to embrace all weather conditions.
  • I bonded so much with my running partners.
  • I never got injured.
CON'S
  • My average running pace slowed significantly. I was to worried if I did too much or too intense of speed work I would get injured.
  • It took a lot of time. As a mom, I felt guilty. Even though my kids had a good summer and we did a lot I still felt guilty.
  • I got used to being stinky, sweaty and dirty. YUCK. 3 and 4 hour runs in the heat leave you feeling far from feminine. I got to comfortable peeing in the woods, blowing snot rockets and forgetting to shave my legs.

5. Hennipen was the first time I ever ran with someone wearing their underware running.

This poor guy was coughing and hacking. I asked him if he needed a throat lozenge. He replied "No, this is the way I run." I was thinking "OK, and do you normally run in your boxer shorts too?"

6. WOULD you EVER do it again?
Hmmm... 2 weeks later I have had a chance to think about this. It takes ALOT of time. And it is a sacrifice on more than just myself.
All these people gave something up to be with Kris and I. Soo blessed by all the support, encouragement and love. 
I wouldn't want to run 100 miles without a pacer. Or a crew. Andy told me "Never Again".
This is Andys spreadsheet. He clocked my time I arrived at each aid station, calculated my estimated time to arrive at the next aid station based on multiple pace options. He was always waiting for me like clock work. It was A lot of work. 

As of RIGHT now. I would never do it again as long as I have kids at home. Time is limited. Alec is a sophomore. I want to enjoy him as long as I can.

7. First time I ever ran with a guy Yo Yo-ing for 100 miles.
"Yo Yo boy" that's what I called him, like a Superhero, he ran back and forth with me for hours laughing and cutting up.

8. After the race, I couldn't get my shoes off fast enough.
This picture doesn't do my feet any justice. My Face even swelled way UP!
My feet felt like they were going to EXPLODE out of the seams. My poor size 7.5 feet looked like elephant feet. Team Squishy Toes now looked like TEAM CHUBBY TOES. Every toe was a sausage link and I had cankles. It was like a horror show. My toes were white with blisters. The closer I looked my right foot actually looked like bubble wrap from all the blisters. I have sense lost 2 toe nails and believe the healing process has begun.

9. How did you feel when you finished. Exhausted but awake.
My legs twitched unable to settle.  I was not instantly hungry. I lost about 8 lbs. But I had gained 4 lbs for the race. I didn't start putting my weight back on for about a week. And to be honest, I have yet to get on the scale. I have indulged in everything I have craved. Cake was the first few days. Then pie, I made both apple and buttermilk. I still eat healthy. I have eaten a lot of whole foods to heal my body, berries, probiotics, fresh veggies and teas.

10. ARE YOU RECOVERING?
YES! I have not RAN in 2 weeks. My knee is about 90% better. I enjoyed a 3 mile walk with Lacey the first week. I have gone kayaking twice.
I am going stir crazy.
I take my running serious, and I take my recovery just as serious. You have to practice what you preach.
I like the art of Self Discipline. The battle between the ears. I love the raging voices. It reminds me who I am. I like the fight. I won. I went 2 whole weeks just like I promised myself.


Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment