"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, December 26, 2016

Running in the dark.

Focus. Discipline. Self Control. Will Power.

Distractions. Weakness.


There are days I am so focused. Ready to take everyone and everything on.
Then there are day I am weak, confused, distracted.

Today was one of those days. It all caught up with me. Christmas left me depleted. And when I am tired I am weak in every way.

I spent several hours taking down the Christmas tree and mopping the sap off the hardwood floors.
But the dreary sky and being shut in was penetrating.
I didn't want to eat, I had eaten enough crap the last week. And all that food caught up with me. You are what you eat. And I felt like a lazy hog.

I knew with it being 50 degrees I should at least WANT to run. But what I wanted to do was curl back up on the couch with my fuzzy blanket and my favorite girl, Sheeba.
And that is what I did.

Even though I was snuggled back on the couch, I knew I needed to run.

So many crazy thoughts were ruminating in my head.

Andy got home shortly after 5pm. I was busted spooning Sheeba on the couch, still in my PJ's!
I tried to coax Andy into running.

And all that energy trying to get Andy to run actually convinced me to get it together and RUN.

It was going to be a night run. The more I thought about it the more excited I got.


I didn't pick a route, a distance or even a destination. I was just glad I was off the couch.
The sun was setting. She was being very bashful, still hiding behind the dark clouds.
But her rays pierced through small openings in the sky giving me a little more light to see my path.

It was getting dark quick, but I wanted to see the sun setting on the water, I turned left and headed towards the cemetery.

It was every bit as lovely as I hoped, for a December evening in Michigan.
I had to stop and stare. I stood behind the bare trees. The snow had melted across the water, the sun was setting fast leaving just a glimpse of her light along the base of the lake. I stood there with just 1 layer on. I pondered how long I could just stand there and enjoy the sunset until I got cold.
I lasted about 3 minutes.

I didn't run far, I barely even got warmed up. But I did GET UP, and I got DRESSED and I got to witness something beautiful that I would have otherwise missed on the couch.

After my run, I just didn't want it to end. The emotional part of my run. I took the music out of my ears. In the stillness of the premature night, I just headed into the dark, walking.
It was as dark as the ace of spades. The animals were whispering but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I just embraced the evening as we walked together for just a few more moments.

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment