"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Warming up? Or battling Cold FEET?

The older I get the more I need to Warm Up.
The older I get the longer I need my Warm Up.
I think I am just finally Warming Up to the idea I am not getting any younger.

I have learned to embrace the Warm Up.

The Warm Up is a great training tool because:
  1. It increases your Cardio Performance: leads to increased cardiac output and a higher respiratory minute volume, which are needed for higher oxygen uptake.
  2. Enhances Muscle Performance: The increased muscle temperature lovers muscular resistance. This allows your muscles to contract faster and stronger which is important if you want to race well!
  3. Increased Body Temperature: By completing an active warm up before you begin the important part of your running (the race or workout itself), your body raises the temperature of your muscles, thus causing your body temperature to rise.
  4. Better Joint Load Distribution: Another positive factor is that even short-term loads cause the cartilage layer in your  joints to thicken, thereby widening the bearing surface and thus achieving a better distribution  of loads.
  5. Injury Prevention: A number of research studies have shown that a proper warm-up can reduce the risk of injury. Warmed up body tissue has been shown to be more resilient.
(info from Runtastic)

The LAST thing I wanted to do this morning was go running outside. It was bad enough I didn't sleep last night but to add injury to insult it was 35' and raining.
I saw a post on FB from a runner friend of mine at 7:30am. She was going to the track.
I knew this is something I NEEDED to do. I asked if I could join her.

I headed to the track reluctantly, Carl Richer is less than 1 mile from my house. The skies looked like they were going to open up and spew cold icicles all over me. I tightened up my hood and kept my keys on the hook.

Rachel was already running on the track when I arrived. 
We were doing 6X800m repeats.

My body was NOT Warmed Up enough for the torture of that first interval. I didn't even make it to the curve and my lungs were firing profanities at me.
Its 3 minutes and 30 seconds of Evil, pure unadulterated wickedness. It is the longest 3 minutes of my life. Every inch of my body is screaming, its confused, its hurting, it can't breath, it can't think, for that matter I can't think. I literally wanted to quit 200m into it. EVERY TIME.
Lacey and I on Wednesday had a strong 8 mile progressive run, I was feeling it all over again.

We did it. Together one interval at a time. The last 2 intervals I pushed behind Rachel, pacing her and pushing her. She did them both in 3:48. Solid.

I smiled that mile back home. I finally felt Warmed Up.

We can Warm Up to the IDEA of a lot of things, but until we take action we are really struggling with "COLD FEET".
I was so glad that I got out there. The weather conditions gave way to many excuses to stay home. But having a partner to hold you accountable and encourage you really makes the GRIT more tolerable.
Intentions are great but they are not action. They don't get the job done. Warming up is great but we can't stay there. Eventually we need to grit it out and Get it DONE. That's when the real Magic happens.

SIDE NOTE: I was going to sign up for a trail run in April. After talking to Lacey, I came to the conclusion that would be one of my more ridiculous ideas. 2 marathons and a 50K in 6 weeks. Not so wise.
Thank God I have Running partners who are smart too!

Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment