"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, March 10, 2016

New Heights

Do you remember as a kid switching the TV on and something you were not supposed to be watching was on?
What do you do?
Sneak and just watch a minute of it? Or be obedient and turn on Scooby Doo?
I watched it. Then I felt terrible.

The scenario is different but the emotions feels similar.
Against my better judgment, I opened up my training journal from last year.
I knew it was going to be a mistake.
WOW, that felt terrible.
I was doing a whole lot more in the speed department than I am currently doing.

I looked at what I was running my Thursdays at. I didn't seem that much slower.

Meeting Danielle at Clover Beach this morning, made me try and duplicate last years runs this time of year.

The weather was gloomy.
The temperatures were ideal. 50'.
No Wind.
A little soupy out but other than that it, it was great running weather.

"He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to stand on the heights." Psalm 18:33
We ran a hilly route. Most of my runs these days are centered around elevation. It is a LOVE/HATE relationship. I HATE hills but I LOVE the training(when its over). I will HATE myself later when I have to race with elevation so I need to learn to LOVE the elevation now.

The Rundown:
Time:1:14:49
Distance:8.53
Pace:8:46 min/mi
Splits:
1.9:34-this mile was through a path with 5 trees down we had to cross over
2.8:44
3.8:35
4.8:13
5.8:32
6.8:21
7.8:30
8.9:31-Our way back, took some pictures of a barn and on the path with the downed trees.
9. .53 mile- 4.30 (time)
Overall, my Thursdays are still pretty darn close.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cross Country season is starting up. Coaching will run 5 days of week.
I have been reading more books, journals and articles than I have read all year the last couple months.
My coaching position is a volunteer position.
It is pure LOVE for me.

I don't have any titles, I have no certifications, I am honestly probably not even qualified. I never ran XC in high school or even college. I'm not a rock star runner with my name engraved in time.
Other than this being my 7th year, I have only the experience of being an assistant coach and the experience of my personal running and working with youth kids for the last 15 years.
I am a NOBODY.
But somebody thought I was enough to coach their kids and it is truly an honor. I love those kids. I look forward to bringing out their passion for running. I get choked up just thinking about the excitement they share when they cross the finish line.
There is something MAGICAL when that kid is coming down to the finish line, empty, exhausted, disoriented.  They see you screaming their name and you get to watch them turn over ONE more GEAR.  Then crossing that finish line they collapse into your arms.
It is so amazing.

RUNNING TIPS: CHI Running, Danny Dreyer
  1. Posture: Tempo runs, hills runs, long runs, fun runs/recovery runs
  2. Cadence: Tempo runs, hill runs, long runs, fun runs/recovery runs
  3. Core Strength: Tempo runs, hill runs, interval runs,
  4. Aerobic Capacity: Long run, fun runs/recovery runs
  5. Cardiovascular: Hill runs, interval runs
  6. Arms swinging: Tempo run, hill run, interval run
  7. Lean: Tempo run, interval run, long run

I am grateful for my run today. Most of my family is under the weather. The hills were not my undertaker and the tea was my saving grace.
I may not be running the speed I was but I am content on the path that I am on. God sets me on new heights, this nobody he thinks is a somebody.


Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment