"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, October 5, 2020

Masks

 "You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also." Matthew 23:31

Last Tuesday, I sat close to the front row to stay focused on what Roger would be speaking on. I
love my Tuesday nights. Tuesday night is our recovery night at church where I have volunteered for over 15 years. I facilitate the families class. 
Roger spoke on masks. I wanted to share some of his words and add my own words. I knew God wanted me to share this because my devotion the very next day illustrated the above scripture that seemed so perfect with the topic of masks. 

These days many of us have gotten used to wearing masks, like it or not we have had to. This is not a debate on wearing masks, sorry if you thought you were reading something juicy and conflicting on masks. It is however a topic that is very convicting. 

We have all wore masks well before it was mandated. 
Masks are not just created to keep us safe, masks were also created to hide or disguise. 
I think of some of the masks I have worn over the years. 
The mask of Perfectionism. Trying so hard to have it all together. 
The mask of Security. Trying to conceal my insecurity and fear. 
The mask of Hope. Trying to appear positive and confident. 
Over the years depending on different seasons in my life there have been other masks I have wore as well. 

We work so  hard to make ourselves look good but are we doing that with spiritual matters? My devotion shared this scripture addressing this issue with the religious leaders in Jerusalem. 
"You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also."
Our value isn't measured in what others see. It didn't matter what mask I wore. What mattered was my heart. 
God sees through masks.  He sees our heart. I have had a lot of cleaning out of my heart to do. I have had moments that I was able to make my cup appear clean and shiny but the inside was filthy. Full of anger, bitterness, and hypocrisy. So many things I was ashamed of I would cover up, or "mask" if you may. 
But God sees all my mistakes, my failures, my flaws and yet He loves me unconditionally. 

I wanted to share these little thoughts I have been pondering on for the last week.  I am very grateful the only "mask" I have to wear is the one I am mandated to wear. 

10 things in the last 7 days! 
  1. Last weeks miles were over 36, this is both hiking and running. 

  2. I biked over 20 miles last week. 
  3. I called a new Dr. for my PF. I have an appointment next week w/ Dr. Taylor in Fenton. 
  4. We did our first camping trip with our pop up this past weekend in Grand Marais. 

  5. Austin and his girlfriend, Shelby took us to a little camp ground they discovered, Woodland. 

  6. Andy and I ran 8 miles on the North Country trail. 

  7. The four of us took the ferry to Grand Island and hiked 8 miles to Pictured Rocks. 
  8. We also hiked down to Miner falls. 
  9. I GOT INTO Bear Lake Ultra October 17th. God Help me! 
  10. I scheduled my next surgery for my boobies November 4th. I really hope this is it! 
A big shout out to DAVE, my friend who had the brain tumor removed, he made it through surgery well! Continue to keep him in prayer, he still has to have radiation and chemo. 

Another big shout out to KRIS! Today is her 51 birthday! We ran 13 birthday miles together, she is still doing great, 13 miles with over 400 feet of elevation at a 9:44 min/mi and that is with walk breaks! 

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person
Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. 
Oscar Wilde

Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment