"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, October 15, 2020

The Unexepected

 


I have gotten really good at handling the unexpected curve balls life has thrown at me. Not that I have enjoyed them or even been that great at handling them all but I try to grit through them with as much chaotic grace as I can.  

For years I have always ran all year long. Always physically prepared to run a race that sounded fun or challenging, preferably fun! So when I was diagnosed with breast cancer last spring I had been training for a 100k, that I would never show up for. I continued to run and listen to my body as I accumulated more miles than my doctors or myself thought possible. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW. 
My miles came to a screeching halt when I had my mastectomy's last October. 

I have since struggled to get my miles back up consistently. In February, I tore my meniscus undergoing weeks of physical therapy only to get plagued by PF adding more PT and tangled with 2 more breast surgeries and meniscus surgery,  depression, grief and a gamut of ugliness circled me. 

I heard a lot of voices in those months but I never heard "Give up". I would start back all over again adding miles one at a time. Covid shut down all races but I continued to try to recover and rebuild my broken body. I rediscovered myself, becoming my best training partner. I learned how to run alone again. How to listen my my body, how to push myself and train myself from scratch. 
4 weeks out from Meniscus surgery I was running again just like Dr. Lewis promised. 
Slowly but surely my miles added up. I started biking more to cross train and let my body recover. I made high protein shakes after every run to help my body recover better and I remained grateful for all miles good bad and ugly. I bought a ball from Complete Runner to help my PF, I ordered a splint to sleep in (I call it my sexy boot) and  I bought inserts as well as new shoes. 

September: 149 miles. 
Last week 5th-11th I ran 51 miles and biked 39. 
As I added my miles up I was shaking like a lil kid with excitement. 

THE UNEXPECTED:
I got into a RACE. BEAR LAKE Ultra. At the last minute, a couple weeks ago I had FOMO. (Fear of missing out) A few of my friends from Complete runner were all running this race with hopes it would not get cancelled as all the others have. Andy put his name on the waiting list. All those that were on the waiting list got in, I was not on the waiting list....But I got it. 

It is a 3 mile loop. My goal is to run a marathon. 
Last week, I ran a 20 miler at Holly rec. This is the least amount of training I have ever done for a marathon. I am usually very prepared. I am so grateful to get to wear a bib and run. I am not tryin to RACE this event. I just want to get a marathon distance in without leaving limbs on the course. 
I am soooo stoked. I am all kinds of dreamy. 
I never expected to get to run a marathon this year, I humbled to have the miles I have had and excited to see what my body will let me do.

RUNDOWN:
I have only ran 20 miles this week: 
Monday: Holdridge West loop w/ Lake loop 5miles
Wednesday: Holdridge West Loop w/ Lake loop/ bike 10 miles
Rachel met me after we both ran for a bike ride. Double time!
Thursday: Highland Rec 10 miles

Danielle and I got lost at Highland rec, I have NO IDEA how this happened....But it was so fun to run with her, I look forward to many more miles with her now that I am getting back on my feet. 

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:16 
I am not giving up. I KNOW that God has great and might things for me. He has brought me through cancer, split the seas for me, protected me in the lions den, and fought for me in battles I couldn't. 
Tuesday at my addiction I saw Nathan Piasecki. He asked if he could pray with me. I was warm with emotion. MY heart was screaming, YES, YES, YES PLEASE!
He didn't just pray for my needs and my essentials, He prayed for my running. For the desires of my heart. I felt SOO loved. 
Thank You Nathan. Thank you for loving me the way He loves me. 

If you are in a rut and feel like every time you take 2 steps forward -you fall back 3, keep climbing. Danielle and I both took falls today. We took a deep breath whispered "I'm Fine", dusted ourselves off and got back out there. We didn't care what the pace looked like, we were both just so excited to be able to run together in whatever capacity was available. 
Take a breath, and get back out there, you never know what might come your way.....
"For the athlete, the biggest pressure comes from within. You know what you want to do and what you are capable of."  Paula Radcliffe World champion and world record holder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment