"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, January 15, 2012

When does Training begin?



I was at work on Saturday and heard a familiar voice, "Hi Nita". It startled me for a moment because I could hardly see her disguised by hair covering her face from her blow dry. "Hi Carrie, How are you? Did you run today?" Carrie responded "Yes, I ran 10 miles today." I thought for a second that is  lot of miles to run this time of year unless you are training so I asked, "Carrie have you started your training?"  Carrie and I are both running Bayshore at the end of May. I wasn't scheduled to start my training until February, could she be starting hers already? "Yes, I have started training."  That answer through me into a tail spin. The first thing I thought of was I have to check out my training program. Am I behind the gun?

For a 20 week Marathon program..if started NOW it would be a marathon around the end of May. Memorial Weekend..Bayshore Marathon.
Program for Intermediate runners..Those who run between 25-50 miles a week
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/128.shtml

That is my Program. But here are some other programs for those of you who may be just beginning.
Beginners:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

Here is a link for a 12 week HALF Marathon training program for BOTH beginners and intermediate.
http://www.marathon-training-tips.com/12-week-half-marathon-training-schedule.html


I am not behind. Even though I have scaled back I have maintained a 8 mile base. Every Thursday I meet some friends and we run at Indian Springs. We run No Matter What! Rain, Snow, Ice, Cold, we are out there. So I feel pretty confident in my training...I just do not want to be in "Training Mode" yet.

This past week I was pretty consistent about getting to the gym and running. I did my basic 4 day workout out week, nothing more unless you count stretching and sit-ups at home and I don't. I didn't over do anything because I am still enjoying bringing it down a notch.
Wednesday I was at the gym for almost 2 hours. I brought the Kindle to read. So I rode the bike then walked on the DREADMILL on an incline....doing nothing to crazy because I wouldn't be able to read!
Problem started there...On Wednesday..Walking On a INCLINE...then a few miles of speed work resulted in 5 days of calf soreness. REALLY Really bad calf soreness.

So today when the sun was shining I knew I wanted to get a few miles in. I knew that even though it was bright and cloudless it was colder than it looked, like 20 degrees cold.
My back was hurting which I think is a downward spiral from my neck being sore this week and my calves are still making me wince in pain with each step. But I decide to put my whining aside and take advantage of the day.
Bundling up I headed toward outside. Earphones in, gloves on I found myself adapting to the snow covered road and chill of the outside air..
The first mile was comfortable. Stride for stride. Just relaxing in myself. As I approached mile 2-  I could hear my breathing and feel legs moving faster than my lungs wanted to go.
I haven't felt this much pain in a while. Between my back,and my lungs I entertained the idea of slowing down...But I quickly dismissed that idea as I secretly embraced the pain. Reminding myself the pain brings presents. Gifts of endurance, speed, confidence and achievement.
So as I had this conversation with myself I realized I was approaching mile 3 and needed to make a decision. No more debating, Shut up and RUN.
I thought about "Katie". I was encouraged just thinking about her running with "Danielle" and I on Thursday. She came out all smiles and determination to keep up. We pushed Katie to the max and she took the invitation. She ran most weeks being pushed to her limits. I remember her face on Thursday as I turned around to check on her in the rain. She was determined. "Katie" was tired, but she new the finale was in the finish. I was looking at these next couple miles through her eyes, with her lungs and her determination. "Katie" did this most weeks, she felt like this on the Thursdays she ran with "Danielle"and I, she knew this pain every week. It was time to reintroduce myself to pain...Let the Training BEGIN....


Anita

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing
    Affordable Logo Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, are you training for any races in the spring.? If so what ones?

      Delete