"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Competing Against yourself..Are you up for the challenge?




I was slightly laughing to myself as I was scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees. I was wondering how many calories you burn doing this thankless job. 30 minutes and I could feel it not only in my knobby knees but I actually think I even felt it in my abs. Wash with one rag then dry with another. According to the Livestrong Website I burned over 100 calories. There's a perk to those who are wanting to burn some calories but have to much housework to do and can't get to the gym! For other housework calorie burners check out this link http://www.livestrong.com/article/356409-how-many-calories-does-housework-burn/



You can out-distance that which is running after you, but not what is running inside you.  ~Rwandan Proverb
I was thinking of the competitive spirit today. Andy and I sat together watching the Olympic Trials last night.  Last night I watched it as a Cheerleader. Cheering on Desiree Davilla and Ryan Hall. Encouraged by the passion of these runners and just left awestruck. The amount of pain they put their bodies through, the power their mind held trumping all voices against defeat and doubt. They were more than Runners, the were Fighters. Strength, Discipline, Desire and Stamina amongst many other characteristic traits defined them. One by one they crossed the finish line, some cried, some laughed, and some praised God. But all of them embraced one another. 
Today I watched it as a competitor. I watched it through my mind a second time. Revisiting the runners response to one another. I was thinking about competition. Healthy good old fashion competition. People and their competitive spirit...It is sad to watch it from the outside looking in. You see it all the time. 
Healthy competition focuses on doing one’s best,working hard, learning and growing.Running Your Own Race. Those who give a strong effort and strive to improve themselves personally and professionally. Healthy competition expands the boundaries of what you believed was possible for yourself. And it encourages you to admit to others that you’re ambitious. It is about YOU.
 Unhealthy competition focuses on winning, being the best, or being better than others. I find that as I speak to people or listen to people that jealousy and envy often prevents people from healthy competition. People break others down, minimize or degrade others so they look better themselves. 
Unhealthy competition is when your reaction to others’ success is negative, rather than inspiring and motivating to you.
There is a woman who got into ING NYC and I didn't. At first I was jealous, wanting to know how she did it and I didn't. But then I thought, Wow, what and accomplishment. I KNOW how hard she had to work to get into that race. I was no longer jealous, I was awestruck. 
I know I have caught myself in this room. The ENVY room. But the room has a door, do not stay in it to long or you will always be a nuisance to yourself and others.
 Where are our cheerleaders today? Where are those people who can look at you FOR you, who can see not just your achievement but your process that went into it. Those who can encourage you, and love you without checking you out and breaking you down. Without criticism, excuses or passive aggressive comments? 
It takes courage to pull out a compliment or encouragement and motivation but it feels good to everyone. Sometimes we have to dig deep, and look within to speak out. We have to do some self inventory. Sometimes we have to work harder on ourselves then the work we put into looking at others with a bad attitude.
RUNNING IT ALL TOGETHER: Today at the gym I knew my program. I didn't look at what anyone else was doing. FOCUS. I had my pen and paper out to right down my miles and times. I was competing with myself, my program, my routine and my training. 
By mile 4 I was determined to finish running this 7:19 pace through to mile 5 which was not the initial plan. 
I told myself like Ryan Hall to just relax. I was inspired by last night Olympic qualifiers. I know I will never be a Kara Goucher but there is a lot to learn from her. I used their strength and discipline
not to trip me up with envy but rather to motivate me and encourage me to work harder. "Turn them over Nita, breath, steady and calm." I just kept talking to myself, I know what I can do, I just do not always want to do it. "One step closer, One minute down, 4miles behind you, you can do this Anita, keep your head up, move those legs, move em!"
I moved my Runners World magazine and to my surprise see I only have a tenth of a mile to go...But I feel so good, so calm, I have beat Myself...I decide another mile would be the cherry on top. I drop my speed and enjoy those who inspired me today. I am grateful for even those runners last night that didn't qualify, their strength is just as deep. They Never GAVE up even knowing they would not be on the Olympic team. Because it was about RUNNING for Themselves. Their Race. Their Journey Within.
2012 U.S. Olympic Team - Marathon: (Left to right) Desiree Davila, Ryan Hall, Abdi Abdirahman, Shalane Flanagan, Meb Keflezighi, Kara Goucher
Rundown:
Miles: 6 Miles
Bike: 5 miles
300 Sit ups
Power Song: Flo Rida -Good Feeling
Anita




2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing! How about our boy Meb? Was that an awesome performance? We just love that dude. I'm going to start reading his book this weekend. Run to Overcome. Jenny read it and thought it was fantastic. She was crying watching him run Saturday.
    God bless!
    -Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, Wow wasn't it great to watch!! I couldn't find Clint... I saw Josh Cox..But MEB was incredible. The Guys race so different then the girls. Desiree was in the lead for like 20 miles.She never changed her expression.I was like your wife watching the finish of the Olympics crying for each one of them and their Victories. Pretty cool. I am going to have to get that book.
    What are your plans for 2012?? have you been running?
    * In Christ,Nita

    ReplyDelete