"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, November 12, 2018

Clarkston Backroads 2018;

I am trying to work on some words for my Clarkston Backroads recap.

It was seriously soo much fun.
I may have been at peak for obnoxiousness.
I caught a few eye rolls at my screaming raspy voice but I didn't let it steal my joy.

I saw soo many friends, acquaintances and people I know of.

BACK; Claudia, Heather, Jessica, random gal, Michelle
FRONT: Erin, Nita, Melissa, and Joan!
I hitched a ride with Erin and Heather.
We met Lacey, Katie and Holly.
Joan was at the park with Javon waiting for us.
And Claudia was just a few car spots away from where we parked at Independence Oaks.

By the time we all actually snuck out of our vehicles to head to the start line we were all soo hyper.

I continued to see people heading to the start line. Christina B, Andy J, Melissa C, Doug, Joe,
Jill M, Diane...The list goes on and on.
A race isn't a race if you don't see JOE! 
MARCOOO!

But my main squeeze was Joan. This would be Joan and my 6th year running Clarkston Backroads together.
Claudia, Lacey, me and Joan! 
I am normally coming down from a race and use this as a recovering SUFFERFEST.
Detroit Marathon was 3 weeks ago for me but it was JOAN this time who would be suffering.
She was my little warrior, Joan just had a baby a few months ago.

I let Joan set the Goal.
Somewhere in between a 2:05 and a 2:10 half Marathon.

As we all took that last photo, Melissa joined Joan and I,  "Hey Guys, I think I am going to try and run with you..."
I was even more excited.

Clarkston Backroads is NO walk in the Park.
You have to really pace yourself and be aware of the route in order to have some gas in the tank the last 4 miles. OH...those last 4 miles..I swallow death those last 4 miles.

Over a thousand runners took off about 9:15am. The music was loud putting a little more pep in my step.
I decided I would try and pace the girls at a 9:30min/mi and if we had to drop our pace down we could.

BRR...it was cold. But this little Latino was warm. I brought my favorite mittens, however, Lacey brought me hand warmers. I decided to wear Erin's light weight gloves with the hand warmers.
I was scared I would loose a mitten taking them on and off. It would be a typical Anita thing.

The first couple miles are rather smooth, a good warm up for the hills through the park that wind around the lake. The scenery is so beautiful you almost don't realize you are racing.

Andy was at mile 4, ringing our biggest cowbell. It was great to see him out there smiling and cheering the runners on.

With each passing mile, I was shocked at how much energy I had. I was jumping, dancing, passing out high fives and cheering everyone one on.
We were full of it here....Cutting up and being ridiculous is my specialty. 

We actually ran with this guy who said he thought he knew us, "JOE". He spent about a mile trying to figure it out. Then it came to him.

He was with a group of older men at The Grafted Root a few weeks back. Melissa and I ended up chatting with him and his group of runners from Genesys after a run, eating lunch.
He said he recognized MY VOICE! AHHH...that voice of mine. I can't go incognito because I can't stay quiet long enough! He added I was the loud one!

About mile 7, Joan started to get quiet. this was the flatter portion of the race. I was a little concerned.
Melissa was still with us and doing great.
Catch or breath, and UP UP UP!

We were able to see Andy a couple more times. He just pulled his truck in someone's driveway. I would start screaming before we got to him. I am pretty sure the other runners didn't know WHO I was bantering with. "HEY..If you are going to cheer runners on.. you need to RING those COWBELLS! What? You think you are supposed to sit there and look PRETTY?!"

I was having fun. The girls each smiled. RULE number 1, "LOOK GOOD"! This was one of the first lessons I learned. Ken A.

About mile 9, the hills start up again. You have a half a mile incline on the backroads then turn around. They actually have a timing mat at the turn around. The good news is you get to run a half a mile DECLINE at the turn around.
The downhills are usually where you are making up time. But this is where Joan was hurting. Her hips from childbirth were hurting so bad on the declines. I could see it in her face. I know the look of suffering. Last year, she was prancing around me and I was in agony.
We dropped our pace more, we had been slowly dropping our pace.
We had enough time banked we could probably still make it sub 2:10. It was going to be tough none the less.

I kept looking for the 2:10 pacer. OHH crap, I saw him making ground. I added walk breaks and tried not to be a pest pushing the girls.
I think I saw swear words coming out of the ears about mile 11.
"You got this. Just hold on a little longer." I would have carried Joan if I could have. I hated seeing that misery.
I knew if I could just get her to mile 12 it would be a flat finish. The 2:10 pacer was just about a tenth of a mile behind us.
Melissa was still with us. She was falling back too. This was a hard race and a fast pace for Melissa.
"Come on girls, just hold on a little longer."
I counted steps, counted our hills, gave our pace, shared our finish time, our pace, I was doing whatever it took to keep them there.
When our feet it the pavement, Joan picked up her pace. I knew she would. She is tough as nails. The 2:10  pacers voice got more and more distant.

"The FLAGS.." I shouted. We were there.
We came up over that hill. I reached around for Joans little hands. I was SOOO proud of her.
SO proud of JOAN! WTG little mama!

TIME: 2:08:43

MELISSA stayed with us and Pr-ed her half marathon! I can not believe she had a PR at this race. I was so stoked for her.

After running this race, I think I am going to add another goal. Next year, I want to PACE a group. Somewhere. Some race. I had soo much fun.

AND...I DIDNT THROW UP! YEAH!
Andy weathered the cold and cheered us on! 


CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THOSE WHO RAN.
BACK; Heather, Erin, Joe, Claudia,Andy J
Front; Lacey, ME. 

Thank you to all the volunteers. They do an amazing job.
Thank you to the sponsors, especially The Woodshop, they had their Mac and Cheese at the finish. it was delish! I gave my beer coupon away, I don't drink but I could have used a cup of coffee!

The medal and the shirt was awesome this year. The shirt fits perfect and the material is so soft.

Till next year....
My response to Claudia...I was whooped last night. 
Anita`

No comments:

Post a Comment