"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, January 1, 2018

Goals 2018: FOCUS

2 Chronicles 15:7 " But You, Take courage! Do not let your hands be weak, for you work shall be rewarded." 
January 1st.
That's it. I'm done. Back in the saddle again.
TRAINING Time!
Its time to purge bad habits, junk food, junk miles and get Focused.

I need to lick my wounds and prepare for more.
No more whining, crying or making excuses for being a slacker.

I love when I get my mind into my goals. There is something magical about setting goals, putting my mind in that place and Focusing on each goal.

I get excited knowing that each target requires sacrifice, commitment, dedication and a certain amount of discomfort.
Its the challenge that gets me charged. The fuel in my fire.

I am still setting my goals for this year. I am planning my races for the year and making a few new years resolutions.

I set my goals to challenge myself,  try new things and even some old things with a new perspective.



New years day always brings so much hope. The coffee was perfect setting me up for a great day to follow. 
Lacey texted me first thing this morning reminding me that it was freezing out. 
Lacey sent me this....It is posted at the Track at Genisys!

I decided to start my wearing my butterfly running skirt. I was giddy when I discovered my newer running shoes matched.
As ridiculous as it sounds, I felt like a princess. There is a lot of girl in me. I love feeling pretty. 

Todays GOALS:
1. Double digit run.
2. Hold an average pace of 9min/mi

I wanted to run with a lil bit of distress. Training has to have a certain amount of displeasure. The pleasure exceeds discomfort when you reach your goals. 

I had to park in the back of the parking lot at Genisys. I couldn't find a parking spot. The massive gym was packed with New Years Resolutioners. 
All the faces get me so excited. Its hard to not get stoked and be an extrovert. I was grinning from ear to ear wanting to share high fives to random people. 

I put my ear buds in and headed upstairs to stretch and roll. 
The track is hard to walk past and was easy to come back to. Walkers, runners and a lot of high school students were sharing the very large track. As one of the largest tracks in Oakland county, it appeared small with so many people using it. 
The first lap my legs wanted to hop skip and jump. But that second lap was a great reminder that the endorphins were short lived. 
I felt great, making my first mile actually fun. 
By mile three I still felt great, however, I was actually concerned play time would come to a screeching halt and I would be suffering on the second half of my double digit run. To prevent that the dialogue in my head began to debate my miles. 
9 strong miles sounded better than 10 miles of suffering. 
By mile 5, I was still on pace and feeling great. I got a second wind from a young guy who was running what appeared to be 100m repeats. He flew by my so fast that my heart actually skipped beats and I found myself laughing out loud. Watching him was impressive to say the least. 
I couldn't help myself, I had to tell him how fantastic he was to watch. 
But I didn't miss a beat. I stayed focused on my pace. I even shared a few encouraging words to random runners on the track. 
Giving others encouragement always encourages me. Smiles help to put a little more pep in my step. 
By mile 6, I decided I was going to run MY GOAL. 10 miles. My pace was a bit faster than I wanted but I knew I could hold it, I knew I needed to try to hold the 8:40min/mi. 

Chris Swanson stepped onto the track. He looked at me but I don't think he associated me with church. 
He was just the right fuel to finish out the last 3 miles. We went back and forth passing each other. He picked up his pace on my 8th mile. I didn't think I could hold on to the 8min/mi. 
I kept my eyes on the back of his head and his large headphones. 
Focus. I focused on the goal, I focused on my breathing. I focused on my posture. I kept everything running in my vision. I counted my laps, I counted my minutes. I pumped my arms, picked up my legs and stayed just a few meters behind him. I could see him looking behind him. 
The last quarter mile I decided I was going to finish by passing him. 
NOO I am not competive....
I quickly picked it up knowing the 10 mile marker was just a few feet away. I hit the last gear I had and flew past him holding on as I ran beyond my marker. 
I smiled inside, giggle a little, then went to the side thinking I was going to puke my brains out. 

Friendly competition, not malicious in any way. I was able to use someone to help me make my goal. 
And it was FUN! 

It felt so good to run a little faster than I have been. To be able to get my blood pumping and my legs turning over really helps me mentally. 
My wobble sticks are sore and tired, but even that is like a trophy for hitting my goals. 


I have to add up my 2017 miles this week. 
I will share those later this week.
I Hope You set some Goals for 2018. Goals prevent you from getting complacent. They remind you that there are great things out there. But you have to work for it!

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment