"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, January 8, 2018

Seriously, No Goals


RESOLUTION
Synonyms: Decision, Settlement, Dedication, Aim, Pledge, Promise

As soon as I mention "So, did you make any New Years Resolutions?" to most people, most people respond:
"I don't make New Years Resolutions."
"Oh, I didn't really even think about it."

Last night at our teens small group I LOST MY MIND. 
We had about 30 kids and 3 of us leaders in a circle. I always like to start out with and icebreaker. 
I did a very SIMPLE icebreaker. I asked them about Resolutions. 

Within the first few students I was instantly discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm and interest in participating in the EASY icebreaker. 

By the time the circle had finished, I was fuming. I was now finding myself discouraged by their poor attitudes and lack of participation. 

Before we started the lesson I had a few words to share with them.

My thoughts on RESOLUTIONS or GOALS.

The last I checked, most of have not "ARRIVED."  I know for me personally, I am always trying to be a little better than I was yesterday. Some days are better than others but many days I Fail. I lick my wounds, dust myself off and try again. 
I set resolutions, or goals to give me something to aim for, to work towards. It gives me purpose, a plan to the strive towards, not just beating the air aimlessly, without direction.

"Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air.."1 Cor 9:26

Without a goal, a purpose, I can be easily discouraged. 
Without a goal or a plan I SETTLE.
I find myself comfortable in the land of being mediocre. I wasn't designed to be mediocre, and NEITHER WERE YOU. 
Without a goal, we get stuck on stupid. Complacent. Often backslidden and not moving forward at all. We allow things to creep into our lives that hold us back. 

I was so discouraged these young people not only had any resolutions but basically stuck their middle finger up at the whole idea, had a bad attitude.

Because if you take it to the WHOLE NEXT LEVEL......as I am about to..
As a CHRISTIAN, we should be training every day to be better. 
25. Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline. They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable. 26Therefore I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight like I am beating the air. 27No, I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.…". 



I explained to the kids that setting resolutions or goals gives you something to work towards. Its not something that is easy and even always comes with success. But letting fear of failure prevent you from setting goals should NOT be your back door. Failure is not the end of the road, it is just a bump in the road.
I have more failures than successes. I have plenty of people that would love to share some of my blunders, mistakes and failures with you.
See its PEOPLE that keep track of your failures, not GOD.
And its Satan who wants to remind you of them. He wants you to wear you fears and failures so you won't want to try and be more Christ like. To be a better person.

It hurt me to see the kids so complacent. They are our tomorrow.

Each one of us can set simple goals, even daily goals. You don't have to advertise them to the world but I would encourage you to write them down even journal them.
Don't settle on coasting because it is easy.
Like my dear friend Rachel says, #DOTHEHARDTHINGS

This
years goal...New Race at Woodstock
The Happening 100k

Rundown:
Where: Trails/backroads Holly Rec
Distance: 6.5 ish (I forgot to start my watch)
We had so much fun today. With the snow fresh and untouched we were excited to put our prints in the snow. The tempertures were warmer and I was shedding clothes before we even started. We started on the trail but got off at the first chance we could, hitting the backroads. The snow was too heavy to trudge through. But it sure was pretty.
We ran some good miles, steady, hitting most of the hills running and breathing really heavy. I felt so much better hearing the others breathing as hard as I was. Misery likes company!

Because it warmed up so much, when we finished we went for a little lake asventure. This lead to creeping across the lake, snow angels and a little mayhem. SNOW BALL FIGHTS.

It has been soo cold that we have all been running and hustling home to get warm. Today was great. We enjoyed running and the adventures in it.

Anita































No comments:

Post a Comment