"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, September 24, 2017

The Perfect Miserable training run

How can you have a "Perfect Miserable" anything? Especially a 20 mile run.
Most would think running 20 miles would be miserable.
Some would think 90' temperatures would be miserable.
And, I am guessing that if you add the two of them together there would be NOTHING perfect about it.

Oh but there were elements that just made this the PERFECT MISERABLE training run.


First of all, church starts at 9am and Laceys kiddos had soccer in the morning, this is why we didn't get out before the heat.
I had all ready been called out for missing 3 Sundays to run this summer. I had no plans of missing church, It was better for me to die in the heat than die being a heathen.

With Hennipen just 2 weeks away, I need all the flat runs I can get. We chose the Polly Ann trail.
I really left the planning up to Lacey.

We drove to Matt and Paulas house to hit the trail by them. Much to my surprise Matt said he was going to be an aid station for us. He would be at the 7 and 13 mile mark.

Laceys new van said 94'.
Shameless, I took off my tank top and put my hydration vest on. I didn't want to wear my weighty vest but I knew we would need extra water.

There was NOT a cloud in the sky. The sun was beating on us. Hot, scorching hot.

Almost the entire first 7 miles was FULL sun. Blazing, beating heat.
Our sweat was sweating.
We slowed our pace way down.
We added walk breaks every mile to keep our temperatures down.
We reminded each other to drink.
We ate our Honey Stingers.
But we were miserable. I found myself counting power lines just to get to the next mile.
Then we had the "Matt's Aid Station" to look forward to.
Love is sharing a sweaty hug..

It was like a mirage of wonderfulness. I think we wanted to pinch ourselves.
With perfect timing, we arrived to a magnificent display of goodies!
YUMMY! ICE ICE BABY!


Matt had everything, apples, potato chips, cheese and turkey roll ups, turkey only roll-ups, mixed nuts, Gatorade, Coke, water, ice, BACON and more. YES, BACON!!!

This made the run so much better.
We got to see this aid station 2 times. Each time we NEEDED it.
It's funny the things you think you would never eat only to find yourself salivating over it. At mile 13, I tried a cold cup of Coke. I don't even drink soda. IT WAS like MANA from Heaven.

Even after seeing him the 2nd time, Lacey asked if he would meet us at Clarkston road about 3 miles away. The heat was not as friendly to Lacey.
Lacey was struggling. I was carrying way more water to give her than I normally.
When Lacey Saw Matt across Clarkston RD!

This very miserable run was made perfect by good friends, by a soft breeze all the way home and God providing shade on our way home.

I don't think Lacey could have made it without the Aid station. It really was the Perfect Miserable RUN.
I think I peed my pants laughing so hard at Lacey in this Pic. I LOVE this girl. A BIG thank You to Rachel for the Cooling Band around my head, it was a SAVING GRACE!

Rundown:
Distance: 20 Miles


Grateful, so Grateful for good friends.

Anita

2 comments:

  1. Always amazing!
    Love you Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUDY...You are so sweet...I still need your address! I missed you this week.

      Delete