James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial.."
I am no longer afraid of the pain.
I am not going to quit no matter how pulverized my body gets.
I don't have to be the fastest.
I don't have to be the strongest.
I just have to the most determined.
I am going to fight the good fight. Where I am DEPLETED I will call on the Lord to supply me with HIS Strength, His Wisdom, His Power. His Divine Power.
I met Kris, Rachel and Ken for an easy 3 miles at Clover Beach this morning. They continued on without me and I walked to the beach to pray before getting us all coffee.
"God, thank you, thank for these legs to run, you gave me a strong body to glorify you. You put the sun above me to remind me just how magnificent you are, those trees Lord, they are perfectly designed in beauty and that is nothing compared to what you have done in me. Tears began to rise. Humbled. God you have been so good to me. You are so splendid in you love for me. Thank you for every step, every breath, and every mile you have given me....."
Each step to the car it was as if I was looking at the sun rays bouncing off the tall oak trees for the first time. I could feel the Lord as the warm sun touched my skin, I could see The Lord in the beauty of the park, and I could smell God in the crisp morning air. How could ANYONE deny there was a God? I was so grateful.
WHY WOULD YOU RUN 60 SOMETHING MILES? WHAT IS THE POINT?
As taper week continues, I have been asked this question as many times as I have run miles this week. It seems so Extreme. Why not just run a marathon, a half marathon, a trail race?
An answer Other than being a little CRAZY!
- Running for me is very spiritual.
- Running this kind of distance takes me out of my comfort zone. It is challenging.
- It is more than just taking my body to the next level, it is also taking my heart and mind there also. It takes me to a place I didn't know I could go.
- It allows me to be in the Present at the same time I am able to escape from myself.
- This distance is unpredictable. You cant plan, predict or prepare for everything that will happen to you on the trails for this type of distance.
- I enjoy the physical challenge of it as well as the spiritual side. There is something about being so dry physically and emotionally that you are begging God for just a drop. It is where my faith and hope grow. When you are at your bottom it is there we are really reminded what we are and are NOT.
- Because it is an experience, it is LIFE, It is living out of my comfort zone. It is living life to its fullest, conquering your fears. That is LIFE.
The gang arrived from their 8 mile run long before I had with out coffee. They were kind enough to wait for me. They were excited to see the hot coffees as they stood there in the parking lot shivering. The sun was now tucked away in the clouds and the air was wet.
I grabbed a sweatshirt, sweatpants, pen and paper. Ken led the 3 of us to a picnic table under the massive trees.
For the next 30 minutes, they helped me write out my list of what to bring, what bags to drop, what to give Andy as well as mom and day to help me.
I was reminded by KEN to SMILE!
Kris reminded me to EAT.
And Rachel kept me from running to Dunhams offering to loan me a couple items I didn't have on the list they helped me with.
My Top 25 ITEMS TO PACK for Running a 100K.
- 2 pair of shoes
- 2 pair of socks, one pair compression (Recovery)
- 2 headlamps
- Extra batteries
- 1 handheld Maglite4
- Rain poncho
- Salt tabs/tums
- extra shorts/shirt (weather changes)
- Portable charger and chord
- Ziploc bags
- Epson salt (Recovery)
- Motrin PM, Tylenol, Essential oils
- Mylar blanket
- Toilet paper
- Baby wipes
- Gloves, Beanie cap, hat
- SCOOBY SNACKS ( treats to encourage you to run!)
- Sandals for after you run, your feet will be swollen
- Chaffing lube
Music, this is a treat for me when I can't get outside of myself. Garbage bags. Mints/tums for upset belly. Chapstick, because you can never have enough lube.
One of my favorite things I will be taking with me is ANDY. I love that Andy has trained all summer long to be with me. The idea of sharing this experience with him gets me all stoked. The love and support I have gotten is INCREDIBLE.
WHATS you guess?? Rachel Won the LAST CONTEST.
Whos guessing how many HOURS it will take me???