AS Andy and I grew closer to Placer high School, we could hear the river running nearby. When we came out of the trail, the landscape opened up before us, and it was the most breathtaking landscape of the American River. I was of course filled with all kinds of emotion, but I remember Andy was in awe as well! The river just cut through the rugged terrain, softening the views but still leaving you with a respect for the surroundings.
Maybe it was running with Andy and feeling vulnerable. Maybe it was knowing that no matter what, I was going to finish. Maybe it was the heat. Or maybe it was simply that I had been running for 27 hours.
Maybe the miles, the hills, the canyons, the heat, the broken blisters, the exhaustion...
Regardless of how I felt physically, the view was stunning and covered me with joy.
I dug my palms in deeper with my poles, using them to lift me, pull me and drag me forward. I could feel the blisters on my palms weathered away and bleeding, but I was so grateful for this extension of me. The poles had been a lifeline.
Andy and I came to the bridge he had been telling me should be approaching. The river deep below us, and now we were exposed to the elements. The path was wide open as we came into community. Auburn.
At Robbie Point, the girls would be waiting for us. Mile 99. From there, Kara and Lynn would get to run with me all the way to the finish.
Andy and I had a final climb that threatened to suck the little bit of life back out of me. A couple runners slowly crept up on us, I could tell that Andy was not thrilled when they passed, however, it was all I had to keep moving.
We entered into a neighborhood; my watch had me at 100 miles and I still did not see the girls. Climbing another smaller hill, the girls came into sight!
Auburn was the cutest town, they had completely transformed the town for Western States. Spectators lined the streets. Signs were everywhere. People were cheering from every corner. Every runner had a sign dug into the side of the road, and as the girls excitedly joined us, they showed me mine.
My own personal sign!
My name, and bib number on it.
I stopped for a picture with waves of emotion. The more people cheered, the more real it became.
Every battle I fought. Every mental voice I had silenced. Every time I wondered if I could keep going.
It came down to this last mile.
52 years came all at this point. I had trained through pain the day I was born, adversity, addiction, abuse, abandonment, it was ALL part of my training. Every hard season had prepared me for this last mile.
Every strong will moment, grit your teeth, tighten your fists and see yourself on the other side came down to this pavement pounding.
They were cheering me on as I felt it all, the pain, the purpose and the promised of God, for never giving up.
I couldn't breathe; the emotions were so overwhelming. It was more than a finish line, every time I wondered if I could keep going, I knew the Lord had carried me to this place as He had taken care of me so many other times in my life.
"ANITA! ANITA! Let's GOO ANITA!"
From all sides, every home, I heard them looking at my bib shouting my name.
I found myself motivated by the energy moving faster down that little village road. We came to a crossroads where our friend Paul was sitting on the curb. Our eyes met, and He jumped up, "Can I join you..." Paul had been waiting there to run that last mile in with us.
I was so taken back by this thoughtful gesture.
"YES! Come ON!!"
And just like that, the 5 of us grew closer together as we made our way toward Placer High School.
It grew louder. Even more emotional, for all of us. Spirtual. It was surreal.
But the MOST unexpected guest hadn't come into my sight yet, but they were waiting....
Coming toward the track, I saw someone standing there with a bike.
It was my cousin, Vince Jr.
I hadn't seen him in more than 30 years, since he was just a boy. He lives in Sacramento and had ridden his bike 22 miles just to see me finish.
I would later find out that he had arrived less than five minutes before I came through!
I believe this to be Gods perfect planning.
My heart could hardly take any more emotion, I was smiling and crying like a lunatic.
Stunned, overwhelmed and overflowing with LOVE.
My posse dropped back as stepped onto the track, a decision Andy had persisted on. I told them they could run that loop around the track with me, but Andy wanted me to embrace the moment solo, with them meeting me at the finish.
The crowd was deafening. Every side of the track was screaming and cheering. The announcers called out each runner. I listened as I ran the track, it was like a Olympic stadium, the vibes were so explosive. I felt revived and brand new; you wouldn't know that I thought I was going to curl up and die just 2 miles prior!
Tears drenched my cheeks as the crowds roared as if I were the winner of the race, no someone who was actually finishing in the last hour!
I felt a presence next to me, it was a guy keeping up with me holding a camera, like the paparazzi. Step by step he kept pace with me, we were running a 8:30min/mi and he looked unfazed and I felt the Glory of God beaming down on me, His Glory... So glorious.
But in a fast swoop, they put a medal around my neck, gave me a bouquet of flowers and a snap collared shirt and moved me along.
My entire crew was there, coddling me, and loving me. Even Joe made the finish. He was in his element on the track at the finish line, I could see how happy he was to be at Western States. The man that gifted me this incredible experience had even made it.
Stunned by the excitement, the execution and the endeavor I felt like I was going to collapse, but they all helped me to the center on the track to take it all in.
There were so many things I wanted to say.
Together we squatted on the field, I smiled and nodded, I listened and struggled to talk. I felt all the details, but their voices were being murmured by my body that was shutting down. Everything was so heavy. They got food as I sat and Paul was so generous, feeding me all his food, so kind.
The infamous belt buckle doesn't come immediately. The awards ceremony is a couple hours after the 30 hour cut-off.
In that time, one by one my crew began to leave. Vince had to bike back home. Paul had to find his runner, Joe was mingling with new friends he had made, and Kara and Lynn had to catch a flight and needed to eat, and I passed out under a tent.
I woke up to say goodbyes and eat with the gals, but Andy needed to exchange luggage from the cars at the same time as the ceremony.
The ceremony was incredible. Every runner was called by name in the order they finished.
"Anita Harless, YOU are a Western States Finished..."
You are handed a engraved belt buckle and shake hands with several people, of which I only remember the RD!
RUNDOWN: My Offering
It felt surreal. Even completely depleted, I had tears running down my face.
I was wrecked. Humbled. Grateful.
I had given everything I had to this course. And the truth is, even in my greatest pain, crossing that line brought 52 years of living to life.
Western States was worth it all.
Every wound.
Every low point.
Every vomiting session.
Literally the blood, sweat and tears.
It was part of MY OFFERING.
I gave 6 months of training, physical therapy, hundreds of dollars, nights of prayers, doubt, hope, supplements, sacrifices, and everything in between.
And in the end, I TRUSTED THE LORD with it all. Not my will, but Thy will be done.
I offered myself to the Lord, to use as a testimony for Him. And I promised the Lord to shine His light, in the valleys, on the mountains, all hours, no matter what.
His Glory, My offering. His Gift.
I trusted God with it all. Not just the outcomes, but even the process. Because dreams like this are built on FAITH and SURRENDER.
You don't get to separate the beauty from the struggle. They are one.
Western States wasn't just something I finished. It was an offering of everything I had. And in the end, The Lord took that offering and gave me something I will carry the rest of my life.
KARA. words I paused.
But what I'll remember most wasn't the river crossing or the climb.
It was Anits's eyes.
When I first met her that night, they were empty. She was a shell of herself. It felt like I was guiding a tiny, sleepwalking woman along the edge of a cliff, awake, but somewhere far away, wandering through a world that felt more like Alice in Wonderland than reality.
How she pushed through the vomiting, the fatigue, the hallucinations-like haze and the overwhelming exhaustion, I'll never fully understand.
But I do know this: Being entrusted to share those miles with her was one of the greatest honors I've ever had. Watching her fight her way back, one step at a time, all the way toward Auburn, is something I will never forget.
Lynns Words I paused.
I went to Western States expecting to cheer from the sidelines.
Instead, I was given the gift of sharing miles, conversations, quiet moments, and unforgettable memories with two of the most amazing people I know.
I walked away in complete awe, not just of Western States, but of the people who make it what it is.
I'll never forget to be grateful to Anita and Andy for trusting me with a small part of this journey. It was an honor, a blessing and without question one of my favorite experiences I ever had.
Kara-
My night shift doctor, crisis manager and lifesaver. She ran through the night with me, kept me alive while I was vomiting and somehow managed to make medical decisions while I was questioning every life choice that had brought me there.
Lynn-
Little but mighty! While I was barely able to whisper, "slow down," Lynn was out there watching the other runners like we were competing for the podium! She kept me moving, kept me fighting, and somehow got this completely wrecked version of me all the way to the finish.
Andy- My husband, my crew chief, my emotional support human...and the unfortunate collector of my disgusting feet, and smells! You saw the blisters, the tears, the paleness of death, and every ugly moment, and every ticking second of the unknown. You never quit believing in me and praying for me. I could not have done this without you supporting my dreams, those wild and reckless dreams.
Joe-
The man responsible for this entire adventure. You gifted me a WSER experience and then actually showed up to see the consequences!! I will forever be grateful that you believed I could do it.
Deepest gratitude.
In Peace, Not Pieces,
Anita
No comments:
Post a Comment