"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Spiritual Pacer



There is something spiritual about running through the woods with the forest holding you up, whispering sweet nothings to you. 
The woods were everything but silent, as I ran romanced by the dancing trees, the gentle rustle of the leaves, the soft chirp of a hidden bird, my heart gave way to Gods woodsy embrace. 
That peace that passes all understanding calmed my soul, from deep inside I could feel, I could touch, I could smell and I could hear Him with intimacy guiding me. 

And my mind wandered farther into the trail and farther away from the noise just outside of nowhere. 

And I stopped. And I smiled. I don't remember stopping or smiling, I just paused and stood there beneath the canopy of trees, so small, looking up. My breath settled quietly to rest in the stillness of Gods glory. 

I thought of Rachel, of Rob, of Bear Lake. Rachel pacing me, Rob encouraging me. 
We all have pacers in our life. They come alongside us, supporting us, encouraging us, believing in us. 
  
My pacers can not always be next to me and sometimes they are going to show up late if they show up at all. 
Sometimes our pacers get injured, struggling with their own race in life. 
Sometimes expectations are not met as communications get crossed leaving us resentful and disappointed. 
Sometimes our pacers in life can not keep up or are not prepared for the journey we need from them. 
And sometimes are pacers are scared to come along side us because it is going to be difficult, painful and exhausting. 

But listen, My God, Oh MY GOD He.....

HEARS me: Isaiah 30:21 "Your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left."

GUIDES me: Psalm 48:14 "For such is God, Our God forever and ever; He will guide us until death." 

DIRECTS me: Proverbs 16:9 "A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps" 

INSTRUCT&TEACH me: Psalm 32:8 "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will advise you with My eye upon you." 

The LIGHT to me: Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path." 

STRENGTHENS me: Isaiah 40:31 "Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." 

Bear Lake was by definition a victory. I came first place female, 4th overall and I set the record for females. 
HOWEVER.. success is not measured short term. Accolades and awards are great but like the breeze shuffling the trees they blow by all too soon. 
Short term success can be the ultimate failure. If you do a good thing the wrong way that becomes a problem.  

Running the trails on Monday I took more time to recollect. 
The meaning in the mission is all based on our motives. I know that not just Bear Lake but all the victories I had this year had nothing to do with my abilities, my talent, or even my will. Not every race did I have a pacer to hold me up, to encourage me, to get me through the darkness. Keeping my heart clean and my ego at bay helps keep my motives clean. 
And while I am so thankful for my amazing pacers, success requires context and that is The Lord, my divine pacer. 
He directed every mile, He listened to me not just when I lined up but all the days and the weeks prior. 
I ran for 23 hours and 30 minutes. Not every hour I had someone praying over me, not every mile did I have someone coaching me eat, to drink and to start running again. I ran many miles with nothing but the tools God gave me to persevere, to grit it out, to be happy and humble. 

I am so grateful for the pacers in my life, the ones that came along side me at my ugliest. My pacers who held me up in my weakness, who counseled me in my confusion, who cheered me on to my victories and loved on me in my failures. 
But sometimes we need the invisible, there is a greater power within us. In this race we are all running we will use up all our humanly resources, But the Lord never grows weary, never expires, and never runs out of batteries. 

"The highest reward for a mans toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." John Ruskin


Anita~

Special thanks to all those who have checked on me and  encouraged me after Bear Lake. I was overwhelmed with love. 




No comments:

Post a Comment