"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Fear: The word of the Week

FEAR
F-ALSE
E-VIDENCE
A-APEARING
R-REAL

This morning, I sluggardly dragged myself to GAC.
Claudia my running friend knows how much I enjoy reading and learning about all things RUNNING, shocker, I know. I have a library of books and stacks of Runners World magazines that would burn for heat an entire winter.
She shared a podcast with me.

The Podcast was FREAKANOMICS and the episode is "Think Like a Winner"
Throughout the podcast you listen to coaches and athletes as they describe how FEAR is an element that presents itself in different forms. The power that FEAR has over individuals, of course zoning in particularly on athletes and the strongholds it has over them and us.

Some of the Fears discussed were:
  • The Fear of Failure
  • The Fear of Pain
  • The Fear of Embarrassment
  • The Fear of Others, Competition
  • The Fear of the Unknown

This is just a few fears that athletes are trying to overcome. Many of these Fears are the very same fears that most of us are challenged with, I mean if you really want to get honest. The speakers, athletes, coaches and narrators share the importance of taking control over your negative thoughts and TRULY BELEIVING in YOUR CAPABLITIES. 

When I coach CC we have a new quote put on our shirts every year. One year it read "STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY."  The entire season was designed to get these 50 kids to Believe in themselves. 
Strength has to start in their mind. Some are born warriors, a fire that burns the moment they take their first breath, but many have to be taught. 
Strong minds are taught in many ways. Often through adversity. We tend to pick on the "OVER CONFIDENT" bold person but the truth often is in what is not said, the battles they fought through, the challenges they overcame that many don't know. These are the hard lessons of strength. The ones you wouldn't wish on anyone. 
Some strength is taught through inspiration, some education, some perspiration and some frustration. But it can be taught. It does however have to be exercised constantly. 


Bob Tewksbury's 4 STEPS he coaches athletes, A retired Major League Baseball pitcher and current MENTAL SKILLS Coordinator for the Chicago Cubs. 

1. Slow down
2. Breathe
3. Engage in Positive self talk
4. Focus on the task at hand

Basic, simple, this is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. These are just simple mental notes to help you be more successful, and of course I would add one more PRAY.
Keeping these at the forefront of your mind will help to alleviate unwanted and unwelcomed FEAR.
It reminds you to MAJOR on the MAJORS and not Major on the MINORS.


Dust off your cape.
Tell yourself you are a superhero
You are amazing
You are Fearfully and Wonderfully made
Be Brave enough to love yourself 
Be Strong enough to conquer one fear at a time
Be Bold enough to stand alone
Be Confident enough to take a leap of Faith

The Rundown: Tempo Run
Roll, stretch, Run, Roll stretch, core. 
My New Shoes! Brooks Glycerin...LOVE!

2miles w/u on the track. EASY jog
4miles Tempo-10k pace
2 miles c/d 40seconds faster than w/u
1.3 miles hills sprints.
Total Miles: 9.3
Dinner: a colorful power salad, roasted potatoes, herb baked chicken thighs and drumsticks (I love dark meat!) 
A little piece of me: Honestly, there probably isn't a day, I do not go through, that I do not engage in FEAR in some form or anther. 
As I listened to my own mental dialogue today:

  1. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to hold my tempo pace for 4 miles, only to pick up each lap on my last mile!
  2. I was afraid I would poop my pants on that last hill repeat in front of everyone at the gym.
  3. I was afraid I wasn't worthy this week, I listened to a conversation a client of mine had with another client. Conversation skirted on those who didn't have a "Good" education and upper class environments.  They continued talking while I finished grooming. Their conversation was degrading. I lost myself in my past, I began to think because of how I grew up and where I grew up I was less. Even though the words were not directed at me, they haunted me. This was a VERY tough challenge. Overcoming your past. Sometimes in Fear you freeze and believe the lies. But I reminded myself....There is NO Shame in my past, there is NO fear in moving forward. God delivered me and has equipped me to do great and mighty things!
Anita~

Training Tip: 
Prepare a Runners Repair KIT:
KT tape, provides support on runs longer than 10 miles
Electrolyte tablets, Used mostly on long hot summer runs when you are sweating a lot
Lubricant, Chaffing
Batteries
Toenail clippers
Band-Aids
Nutrition, gu's, nuts, bars
Advil, Tums, 
Salonpas, biofreeze, 
batteries
Babywipes

To name a few things!

Anita. 




No comments:

Post a Comment