"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, August 13, 2018

The Interesting Challenge

There really isn't  anything tangible in running for me.
I would love to say it makes me a better person but even that might be a bit of a ridiculous statement.
It doesn't save lives or pay my bills.
It does introduce me to some incredible people.
I love the adventures in running outside, hidden from the pollution of daily life.
But the reality is that even though running feels like it brings me life, it takes me to that next level of humility and physically breaks me, my running is OFTEN questioned by many.
It is understandable.
Crazy miles, challenging courses, frigid temps and stifling heat waves, I RUN. Always reciting "It's Good Training". I have brain washed myself into believing that tripping in the darkness of the night on 3 hours of sleep is "GOOD". Blisters, sun burns, sweat so smelly it makes my sons football team smell like Bath and Body works and sore muscles just another day in the office.

This is the INTERESTING CHALLENGE.
Challenging myself to continue to find balance, to find Joy in my running and to move forward in my training keeping myself injury free.

"Training to Run 100 miles is like training to get hit by a truck." Luis Escobar
This is one of the reasons I have only ran 1-100 miler.
It beats you up mentally and physically. I was VERY blessed as a mother and a wife to have such a great support network.
I have NEVER felt fatigue like I did at 3AM after running 85 miles. My legs were like weights, my stomach was nauseous and all I wanted to do was curl up and die.
But you know the time is ticking, you have goals and you can't QUIT. This is another INTERESTING CHALLANGE, Fight your way through the collision or take the easy ride in. I chose to get hit by the truck then decided that ONE was enough for this season of my life.

"If you start to feel good during an ultra, don't worry you will get over it." 
This is true even in training. I can run 10 miles and feel great, then at mile 12 I am a hot mess. It is so mental. You know that quitting isn't an option and you know that the misery will usually take to the back burner and if not "Its Good Training"!
The Interesting Challenge is not QUITTING.
Quantity has its edge over QUALITY.  You can run slower, walk more, even revise your plan but you CAN'T cheat your miles. Quitting becomes a habit, a habit you cannot afford to entertain. If you quit on your training you will find yourself learning how to do the same in daily life. Dig in and do it right.

Woodstock 100K: Less than 4 WEEKS OUT
I ran a night run last week, followed up by a long run just hours later then to be topped off with a 5K that evening.
Over 36 miles in about 20 hours.
Night running is great training if you know you will be running in the night. For ultrarunning, night runs really bring on the adventure.

TIPS for Night RUNNING
  • Headlamp and a hand held flashlight (More lumens shorter battery life)
  • Always have extra batteries
  • Give you pace -grace on the trails. 
  • Dress properly, the evening typically get cold, be prepared having extra clothing. 
The back to back longs runs are the mothership of your training. 
*For ultra training, your longest run should be about 60-70% of the Distance you will race.
Last week I was able to get over 65 miles for the week.
This week the goal is the same. This means 6:30 runs to keep a healthy balance with family and life.

"Unless you Push yourself, you are not living to the fullest,  you cant be afraid to fail, but if you have not failed, you have not pushed yourself." Dean Karnazes

So the Last Interesting Challenge, being humble enough to know that you can fail at anytime and that failure is sometimes part of the process.
I don't prepare to fail but there are always unforeseen circumstances.
Finding the silver lining in all things will help prevent negativity.
Negativity comes with friends, like wolves dressed in sheep's clothing. Be careful what thoughts you entertain, they WILL Define YOU.

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment