"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Falling Gracefully or Not


Some runners prance through the trails like a gazelle. Lightly tapping their feet and floating on air like a ballerina.
Others, flip, dip and trip like Me. I look like a bull in a china shop.

The Superman- this is what we like to call the runner who FLIES through the air without any super powers to catch themselves. They land similar to a jet plane without landing gear, bouncing off the trail until they come to a complete stop.

The Jackie Chan- this is the dive and roll fall that usually is so stealth like than no one ever knows that you fall. You tuck and roll and BOUNCE back to the surface with cat like reflexes.

The Four POINT Fall- This fall is when you stumble so hard you LUNGE forward landing on all fours like a dog. You are then left in a humiliating position trying to convince everyone "No! I'm Good!"

The Swoop- The swoop is very common and can be often times disguised with little humiliation. Often times this is a result of the ground reaching up and grabbing your ankle. Never your fault. As your feet are secretly being assaulted your body thrusts forward but your legs are not moving. The upper part of your torso bends in half like a matrix move, swooping you body down low but catching yourself and diving back upright. This move is made stealth like, one sudden SWOOP and you are up and running.


I am very good at all those falls, most specically the Jackie Chan and the Four Point Fall.

The Jackie Chan always makes me feel like a Rockstar and I am usually disappointed when no one sees my gracefully agility back to my feet.

The Four Point Fall usually brings an audience. "ANITA! OHHH are you all RIGHT."
Mortified, dirty and disheveled I cheerfully respond "YES! I am FINE!"
I am secretly doing an assessment of my body. The sudden impact makes my stomach feel like it is caught in my thorax. I quickly realize that I am not choking on my innards rather my pride.

Tripping is can often be avoided by not running...Just KIDDING! Good try!
If you run trails YOU are going to trip.
The tops of my toes are DESTROYED from todays run.

The biggest reason I typically trip are:
  • Tired 
  • Shuffling my feet, not picking them up...result of fatigue
  • Not paying attention. Keep you eyes about 3 feet in front of you, if your eye contact is too far out your going to miss what is right in front of you. If you look too close to your line you will come up too fast on tripping hazards. 
  • Running too fast...this is rare these days! But when running faster on the trails you have to be very light and quick to maneuver through the trails. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

RUNDOWN: 
Distance: 26.75
Time: 5H 23min
Where: HOLDRIDGE: West loop + lake loop and tech loop for over 5 miles then Grubers Grinder for 15 miles and finished back to the West loop. 

We had a great group out there today. The temperatures were much more mellow at 72 degrees. The rain drizzled on us the majority of our run, this was actually refreshing. 

My spirits were in good standing today. It was nice to have all of us running together. 

I will be running all double digit runs from here on out until I taper for Woodstock. It is important to get as quantity, time on your feet for running ultras. Miles Miles Miles, Time on your feet. 

Todays run proved that. I was concerned I was going to be wiped out when I came out of Grubers Grinder, at over 21 miles. 
However, because we kept such a steady and consistent pace I felt great the last 5 miles. By GREAT I don't mean I didn't have aches and pains. I had my fair share of twinges and annoyances but my energy level was in good standing with me. 

I had a great day today. I smiled a lot. I laughed as much. Some of the struggles I have had I am learning to look at through a different perspective. I think this is helping me more.
Sometimes we have to change our paradigm of thinking. 


BTW; ANITA...Means Grace!
Anita~


2 comments:

  1. I'm a trail runner and used to run wearing bifocal spectacles. Big mistake. I was falling all over the place and forever being taken to hospital with broken bones. After cataract operations to both eyes I rarely trip now but at 86 I'm much slower too, so less likely to trip.
    Good luck with your double digit runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Old Runningfox, It is a story in itself that you persevered and kept running trails. What a great story. You are a inspiration, such a great testimony still running! Thank you

    ReplyDelete