"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Old Dog New Tricks: Consistency PRT 2

No Great Thing is Created Suddenly." Epictetus


The older I get the more my body is on high alert to the simplest change. I find that keeping up with my routine is my best route to prevent a barrage of issues.
EXAMPLE:
  • If I don't continue to run regularly, it is harder for me to get back on my game.
  • If I do too much, too hard, I feel it for too long!
  • When I am not consistent, I find it easier to make excuses and slack more.
I think of the saying "It is hard to teach an OLD DOG new tricks." Well, This OLD BODY does better with Consistency, Repetition.
Being consistent in your running needs to start with HABIT. Not FINDING the time, rather MAKING the TIME.

Learning new habits takes Consistency. Then it takes Persistence. The longer you stay on the path of Consistency the more you will learn and grow from.
You will move from Persistence to Sacrifice. From Sacrifice to Commitment. From Commitment to Grit. From Grit to Victory.
You will watch your training go from beginner to beyond anything you thought you were capable of.
There are so many character gains as well as physical and mental challenges you will aspire to if you can make the first step: CONSISTENCY.

The only way to define your limits is to go beyond them. You don't know what you are capable of if you don't first learn how to RUN REPEAT RUN.

When I first started running, I ran 3-4 days a week. I didn't run with anyone. I didn't even know people ran together. I didn't have running shoes, a Garmin or even running clothes. My husband bought me a Nike+. He taught me how to calibrate it. I duck taped the sensor to my shoes because I couldn't afford the Nike Shoes with the pouch in the bottom.
Because life was getting consistently more stressful I found that it was easy to be consistent in my running. I could go when I wanted, all I had to do was lace up and the sidewalks never ended. I didn't have one of these fancy Jogger Strollers for my boys. I literally ran with them in a Red wagon, pulling them through town.
Each week, I would add another mile "For the Heck of it". I wasn't training for anything but it just became habit. Until one day, I realized I could run 20 miles. It wasn't until that day that I realized I was a RUNNER.

The more consistent you are in running the less you will struggle to maintain your athleticism. You should be able to reach your goals easier if you maintain a steady running routine.

I ran into a old running partner of mine at Krogers last week. "Heidi". She shared with me that she had put running on the back burner for a while but MAINTAINED her fitness in other areas.
When her sister asked her to run 6 easy miles "Heidi" agreed thinking she wouldn't have a hard time. She explained that she had to walk and had really tuckered out.
"Heidi" laughed as she said "There is NOTHING like RUNNING!"
SHEBA ACTUALLY CRAWLED IN AND LAYED IN THE BLACK MUCK. WHEN WE GOT HOME,MY PHONE RANG AND I WAS NOT AWARE SHE HAD WENT INTO THE HOUSE. SHE SHOOK HER BODY SPRAYING BLACK MUD EVERYWHERE!


RUNDOWN:
Distance: 3 miles
* My body is pretty beat up. Sunday was 20 miles, Monday I ran between my run of over 14 miles and running with the XC kids I had closer to 17 miles. Tuesday would normally be a day of rest but due to coaching XC I had to run with the kids adding another 3+ miles. I played it smart and only ran 3 miles. I took my boxer to Sorenson park, unleashed her and let her run with me.
She took off like a racer. Sheba is very good about staying close. The only problem was she would come up from behind me and like a bat out of H*!! she would bolt past me. I could hear her coming up behind me full throttle. I couldn't get out of her way fast enough, with out knowing what side she would pass me I jumped to the right...So did she. SHE took me OUT! I went up 3 feet in the air and down sliding through the sand.
She knew what she did, coming back to check on me with her head down. She is too cute to bark at, I wasn't hurt, I just laughed at her.

"Disciplines weighs ounces, Regret weighs tons."

ANITA~

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Consistency is everything!!! There was a quote from the Bo Schembechler era of Michigan football - those who stay will be champions (Of course too much consistency and treating the body like a robot led to PF... :( Great job on all the miles!!!

    ReplyDelete