"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, June 5, 2023

"Freight day to get lost" Highball to Thurmond 50

 Tuesday, when I got back to work my clients one by one began asking about my 50 miler in West Virginia. 
Patti S. was fully attentive to all the outrageous details of Highball the Thurmond 50miler.
 "Anita, how does this stuff happen to you, every race there is something so crazy that happens...." Together, we laughed about all the details that could only happen to someone who has favor from God. 
I humbly believe that the Lord makes a way when there is no way for me. 

The idea of running "HIGHBALL TO THURMOND" is to "highball" it to the finish in Thurmond, 50 miles away. But you have make it back to the train station in Thurmond to catch the train back to the start! 
The concept is genius, but it does come with "cut off" times in order to make it to catch the train. 


I am going to share my recap and remind you, I run for the Lord. Running is a ministry, a gift from the Lord. 
I am a NOBODY. I barely cast a shadow in this world...
But I am a SOMEBODY to the LORD. The details in the recap are yet another series of reminders that the Lord leads me, guides me, strengthens me and loves me. 
I LIVE that out loud. I live that every mile. 

THURSDAY: "Slow-comotive". 

Andy and I drove in Thursday, caravanning with mom and dad. We snuck out for a little run. Our 5 mile run quickly dropped down to 3 miles. My piriformis was aching, my right calf was tender, my heart rate was "off the rails" and I was panicking as we hit another hill every quarter mile. We had to walk halfway up the hills and honestly I wanted to walk the whole thing! This is where fear began. 
I began questioning every goal I had set. "ANDY, I am throwing all my goals out the window, I think I should just try to finish before the train leaves." I whined. 
I felt so defeated. 
FRIDAY: Spent the day with family. Dad is from West Virginia, so he took us all over visiting family and special places he grew up in. 
SATURDAY: Andy made last minute reservations to go white water rafting. I couldn't tell Andy no. I was so "a-freight" I would be tired, broken or die in the class 5 rapids. 
It was SOO FUN!! And I was able to get an upfront look at where I would be running. "AJ "our raft guide, showed me different areas I would be running, and also all the elevation I would be climbing!
SATURDAY night was Packet Pick-up. BIB 125. 

SUNDAY: "Hightailing it to the Start Line."
We started at 6am. Andy dropped me off as the sun was just coming up over the mountains. It was truly glorious. I am not great at eating before a race, I had a Honey Stinger waffle and a cup of coffee, I had my pack filled with nutrition and I would be eating at the aid stations. 

"ONE TRACK MIND"
There is a motto I use when running ultras, "pass NO ONE in the beginning..." I try to keep my mind focused on not going out fast. 
I found myself in a group of runners and tucked in behind them. I knew the first few miles were rolling roads, making it easy to lose your pace. I was fumbling with my "Race Joy" ap trying to get it started when Andy first passed me honking his horn heading to the next aid station to see me. I got chatting with the group of runners around me and we all discussed our goals. I told them my original goal was 10hours 30 minutes, but I threw the goal out the first day I was in West Virginia after running 3 miles and when I thought I was going to die on the hills. 
Two of the runners were from Maryland but originally from Brazil. They had heavy accents, speaking in Portuguese back and forth to one another. In English, one of the older men responds to me "HEY, we just ran a 50 miler in 10H:38minutes, I think that is totally possible here too..." 
And there the seed was planted again..... 


"CHUGGING ALONG"
I just chugged along the first 5 miles excited to see Andy at the aid station. When I arrived, I introduced Andy to my new friends that I thought were older than me. I quickly found out that they were only a few years older than me! My age says I am almost 50 but my spirit thinks I am way younger. 
When I came out of the aid station I lost my new friends. I took off solo. 

"RUNNING OUT OF STEAM"

This is where the hills really started. We were not running trails yet, rather the park roads and dirt roads  up the mountain. 
I dropped my pace and kept running up. The miles added up along with the elevation. I wanted to walk so bad but I didn't know how much farther I would be climbing. This is where I began passing runners that were walking. 
I looked down at my watch as I began to lose steam and noticed I had ran almost 13 miles. I knew that an aid station was coming and mom and dad would be there. Just as I was getting ready to fall apart, I heard people. I began shouting, "AM I DONE? TELL ME I AM DONE CLIMBING?!" This is when Andy popped out and the volunteers shouted "THIS IS IT! DOWN Hill from here!"
I was praising the Lord and singing Halleluiahs! 


"OFF THE RAILS"
I was off the rails excited to go down that mountain! I was still running mostly alone but my pace was significantly faster, I was smiling feeling the warm breeze through my hair. 
It was beautiful out. The trees were dancing with foliage, the sky was as blue as the ocean and honeysuckle wafted through the air. 
My body felt strong with no pain or discomfort. 

"ON TRACK"
With almost 20 miles in, we were still running mostly the roads. I found myself running with another runner, talking about our goals and different times. He told me we were on track for a 9 hour race. As I listened, I did my math, taking into account how I run and calculated I was way ahead of my original goal. We came into this beautiful park area. I was running along the river with waterfalls to one side of me and a huge damn on the other, it was breathtaking. I took time to take some photos and not let myself get caught up in racing, enjoying the journey. 
I saw mom, dad and Andy waiting by a picnic table for me. Andy had my change of shoes waiting for me as I would be hitting the trails. 
I just loved seeing mom and dad in their matching "TEAM HARLESS" shirts. I felt so blessed to have in laws that crew me up and down mountains in another state with so much love. 


"A-FREIGHT TO ASK" 
I headed out of the park as a train was coming. I was so caught up in the symbolism of the train that I was quickly interrupted by an abrupt incline into the trails. The foliage quickly wrapped around me, and the strong scent of honeysuckle welcomed me. 

Alone I ran for miles. I was not in the trail long when it spit you out unto the park road. The traffic was getting heavy with tourists and site seekers. The New River was below me as I began climbing another mountain. Mile after mile I climbed. So many miles I climbed that I found myself looking for the ribbons marking the trail. 
Thats when panic set in. I kept running up the mountain "a-freight" to call Andy. 
"ANDY.. Andy...I think I missed a turn" I trembled. 
Andy calmly responds, "Hold on, let me find you..." 
The longer Andy paused they more confirmation I was getting. 
"Oh Nita, oh no, you missed a turn about 2 miles back...." 
Everything Andy said sounded like garble. I had literally climbed an EXTRA 2 miles, I was sick. 
Andy couldn't find the right words to soothe me, to encourage me, there was nothing he could do at that point to get me out of my head. 
I was a MESS. I was going to be OVER 40 minutes behind now. 
I wasn't sure I could make the cut-offs now. 
I went from being in the front of the pack to the back of the pack. 
From being on cloud nine to now in the pit of despair. 
I was mad at myself, Typical Anita moment, I loathed myself, my mess-ups, I felt so broken. 

"LET OFF SOME STEAM" 
So I RAN! Down that mountain, with my fists clenched, tears in my eyes, with frustration at myself, I called myself every name I could think of. I was at mile 30, I missed my turn at mile 28. 
Coming down that mountain angry my legs were moving at a sub 9min/mi. Andy said I had to run under the bridge. I remember seeing that beautiful bridge, taking photos with it, I resented that bridge now. 
When I finally got to the bridge, I felt myself calming down. Even though my legs were running my heart was at the throne of God. 
The Lord directs my steps. 
The Lord protects me and strengthens me. 
I knew that the Lord was taking care me and my mishap and that He had a plan I didn't get the memo for. 
"Lord, it was your will for me to get lost, YOU kept me upright down that hill...." And I praise HIM. In my angst, I praised HIM for keeping me strong and pain-free. 
My body was still without any pain, I was humbled. They Lord was keeping me humble. Thy will be done. 


"DON'T LOSE YOUR TRAIN OF THOUGHT"
I considered quitting, so may times.  
When I got on the trail I was in for a shock. This trail was covered in shale rocks, thick black mud, roots and greenery that hid the path, it was more technical than I had imagined. 
Oh, it was stunning, but it was very technical. There was no way I was making up more time on the trail.  I felt my positive thoughts echoing away and all I could hear was my heavy breath and back to despair. 

I prayed more asking the Lord if He wanted me to continue to please keep me moving. 
The only train of thought I needed was to "KEEP MOVING". No matter what it looked like I kept telling myself, "KEEP MOVING Anita." 
I was falling apart. I had no signal for my music to play so I was left to listening to myself suffer. The heat was baking me, I knew I would see Andy about mile 35 but to be very honest, I was so miserable I didn't want to even see him. 

I see this tall man in gym shoes barreling down a very tight section of the trail, It was ANDY! The trail was covered in rhododendron, with steep climbs and twists so tight I didn't know how Andy got through. I started pouting, "How much farther..." We were climbing what felt like straight up, I had to grab trees to brace myself because I no longer trusted my legs. 
Andy was incredible, he was gentle with encouragement and soft with his words, knowing I was fragile and ready to break, he coaxed me out of that trail to the aid station. 


"ALL ABOARD"

Andy, with mom and dad got me back out there again. They smiled and loved on me. Refueling not only my water, my food but also my love tank. 
I was back on board again. 
I knew I was going to make it, I had no idea what it would look like, but it didn't look like a complete failure. I discovered I ran over 4 miles when I missed my turn. I thought to myself, "..your running 50 miles, so what's another 4 miles?" 
I gave up placing. 
I gave up the sub 10 hour goal that I had for the first 22 miles.
I gave up the 10h30 hour goal I had in the beginning of the race.
I was full circle trying to just finish strong and fearless. 
I was on board for giving my everything, many things changed and changed many times but I felt invigorated. 

"Full Speed Ahead" 

At my mile 40, I was still smiling as I ran back down the mountain, another mountain the same mountain I couldn't tell you. 
AND THERE at the bottom of the hill was Cleber and Icar, my friends from Maryland! 
"FRIENDS!! IT"S ME!! I'm BACK!!!!" I ran with my hands in the air and a smile as big as the mountain I was running down. 
"CLEBER!! IT'S YOU!!" 
They took a double take at me, we were all laughing when Cleber starting shouting at me, "ANITA!! You are bad A$$, You are BAD A$$!" 
I laughed and replied, "not hardly, more like a "dumb A$$, I got lost..." 
But they already knew, they had seen Andy at an aid station and he told them of my unfortunate mishap. 
But they had never thought they would see me, and they kept showering me with compliments for catching up to them. 
I didn't feel as amazing as they were making me out to be until they said that they were still on track for a 10h 38 min race. 
I was trying to do all the math, all the numbers were not adding up. All I knew was that I had caught up to them by the grace of God! 
And that is exactly what I told them! 
We were only running a little bit when we came into the 41.75 mile aid station where Andy was excited to see me. 
Caught up in the adrenaline, I told Andy we were going try for a 10 hour race, Andy was very encouraging and shewed me out of the aid station. 
Well, all that hype wore off quickly! I told they guys I would shadow them and try hard to finish with them. 
We ran the back in the trail where it was cooler. We took a few breaks to rinse off in the waterfalls. It was stunning. I wanted to take photos, but my phone was dead. 
We then made a turn, hit an aid station, quickly drinking and grabbing a bite. And just like that we started the mother of ALL climbs. Over 800 steps, some stairs but mostly shale rocks that made a stair case cut into the mountain. It was steep, covered in thick foliage and uneven steps some as far apart as  feet sharp turns to tight you couldn't see the top. I could hardly catch my breath trying to keep up with them I only fell farther back. Another runner caught up to me and I motioned him to go ahead of me. He said "No, I won't let you fall." I had to grab the trees and my legs to move. We finally made it to the top, it was frightening to see how far we had climbed. 
We caught our breath and picked our pace back up up. 
Cleber suddenly yells my name startling me, "ANITA! you just ran 50 miles, at 9hours 40minutes, look at your watch..." 
I was taken back that he knew that, he was right, my watch beeped at 50 miles...I responded, "Yeah, but I have over 4 miles to go..." 
Cleber full of enthusiasm says "Your bad A$$.." 

 With 2 miles to go, Icar was ready to kick it into gear, but Cleber responded to him in Portuese. They ran ahead of me, and I couldn't understand what they were saying. 
They were in a serious conversation. I knew Cleber was struggling with cramping and didn't want to to drop a gear and that Icar was still really strong. 
The two of them only spoke English in front of me so I was very confused on what was going on. 
After what felt like forever Cleber came back to me and said, "YOU go ahread of us...." 
I quickly interrupted, "NO, you guys carried me the last 10 miles, no..." 
With great passion he interrupted me! "NO, you would have already finished, GO, we want your name ahead of ours, you earned it..." 
I knew they had more in the tank and wanted to go faster. With all I had I picked up my pace. we were running downhill allowing the momentum to lead me. 
I kept looking back and could see they were with me. My watch hit 54 miles and I still couldn't see the finish. I passed a girl wishing her well and tried not to run head over feet when I finally saw the finish. 
I looked one more time behind me and saw them about 20 meters behind me smiling. 
I looked in front and saw Andy, and I was smiling! 


I finished at 10:32! 54.54 miles! 
YES, I finished with the original goal at the beginning of the race that I made when I first met Cleber and Icar! 
I got LOST. 
I got discouraged. 
I got frustrated, angry, defeated...
BUT THE Lord Redeemed ME!! 


One mile at a time. I cannot tell you how mad I was at myself for getting lost. 
But I had to cling to the Lords hand in it all and find peace and His purpose for me. 


I give the Lord all the glory for all the details He worked out for me. I had to let go and trust that it is His will. 
The Lord Humbled me and Redeemed me for His purpose. 

In Peace not Pieces, 
Anita~

I placed even in my mess. 
I felt amazing most of the time. My body was fatigued but I never had any pain. 
My belly did great. 
I ate: 1 applesauce and a honey stinger the first 15 miles. 
I enjoyed a 1/2 a PBJ, some potatos, pickles, watermelon, oranges. 2 Gu's a 1/4 quesadilla and liquid IV and a liter of water. 
Andy gave me 3 motrin at 20 miles in even though nothing hurt and maybe thats why nothing hurt! 
I am a minimalist. I have the crew box but I only changed my shoes, not stopping more than 5 minutes. 
By the grace of God go I. 


4 comments:

  1. You are awesome and we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such inspiration! ❤️ love reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you are awesome. You got what it takes. GOD. Keep on with your ministry. Love you. Glad you took time out to visit with us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a challenging but rewarding adventure! I expect nothing less from you :-)

    ReplyDelete