"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, April 3, 2023

Running Wide Open



 I slept in. I allowed myself that privilege as I hit the snooze for the 5th time. It was after 7am when I snuck out of bed towards the Keurig. 
Each step down the hall I assessed every movement, trying to determine what my body would be capable of after my 24 mile run over the weekend. 

With my coffee steaming, I opened my bible and my bible study in 1st John. 
LOVE. 
I wrote every scripture like I have a dozen times. I moved from Corinthians to Colossians passionately, penning the verses on LOVE down. 
I found myself undone in humility asking the Lord to continue to train and teach me with mercy and grace. 
RUNNING Wide Open:
Without much of a plan, I found myself in the middle of 3 trail heads at Holdridge. I headed to the West loop curious of its condition after all the rain. 
The woods were all mine, my own private playground.

I hit the first loop conscious of my surroundings. The light dancing off the pond, the woodpecker working hard the dead oak tree, the bouchée Starbucks cup someone tossed in my beautiful woods and every place my foot landed. 
I felt the sweat begin to trickle down the small of my back, the breeze fragrant and refreshing, and I knew I was right where I needed to be. 
I praised God for every little detail. 
Then I prayed. Humbled at the details encompassing me. 
I Prayed Wide Open. 
My heart was Wide Open. 
I finished the loop just short of 5 miles. I looked at my watch studying the time and distance before I headed out to finish the 5 mile loop in the parking lot. 
Thats when I decided to head back into the woods for a second time, only faster. 
  • "PICK UP YOUR FEET."
  • "RELAX, BREATHE, CONTROL YOUR BREATHING.." 
  • "DON'T DROP YOUR HEALS.."
  • "TAP, PICK EM UP, TAP..."
  • "GO, PICK IT UP ON THE DOWN HILLS..."
  • "UP, GET UP, QUIT WHINING AND GET UP..." 
  • " DEEP BREATH, DRINK, RELAX..."
The second loop I felt like I was drowning in my perseverance. 
I was trying so hard to push through. 
My legs started to get heavy.
I felt my lungs searching frantically for air. 
Little twinges of pain took turns throughout my body. 
I clinched my fists; I grimaced in pain trying to dig deep and I pulled out all my best coaching mantra. I collected training tips for every struggle, for every step of suffering, every mile of agony, I dug deep to locate the tips to get me through. 
And I counted it "all Joy" to suffer in such a way. 

LOVING Wide Open..
As I ran, I listened to my thoughts. 
I drifted astray of my beating heart and breathlessness. 
I heard the Lord connect my athletic training to His training He shared with me that morning. 
"PUT ON A HEART OF COMPASSION..."
"KINDNESS"
"HUMILTY"
"GENTLENESS"
"PATIENCE" 
"BEARING WITH ONE ANOTHER..."
"FORGIVING EACH OTHER..."
"PUT ON LOVE"
Somewhere on the trails I recited The Lords training instruction for me. It collided with my heart in a gentle reminder. 
I was reminded to stay strong not just physically but also in loving people. 
Because interacting with people can also be easy to "Run" the other way. 

Running on Seconds...
Colossians tells me to "PUT ON a Heart..We are instructed to LOVE. I want to get EXCITED to LOVE the same way I am excited to RUN. 
It doesn't mean it is easy, quite the opposite. Love it ACTION. Action in the midst of fear, in the midst of anxiety, in the midst of brokenness, in the midst of disappointment, depression, mess-ups, mistakes and anger. 
It's really not that different than running. On the days I want to quit, the days I am hurting, struggling, sore, exhausted or injured I still train in faith. 
I ran that SECOND loop pulling out training tricks in my agony. I knew that when I am suffering, I needed a voice bigger that my own. As I closed on each mile, I looked down at my watch, "PICK it UP Anita" I screamed at myself. Oddly enough my demanding shouts were working. I was not only running on seconds as a loop but also seconds were being shaved off each mile from my first mile. It was another bold illustration that it is just a little bit that makes such a big difference. 
Whether is seconds off you time or it is just giving a little bit more compassion, forgiveness, grace, gentleness, humility or patience. 
I was PRODUCTIVE! Thats a good thing! And...I did finish my second loops faster! 
Praise God!

As I came out of the woods, my run over, I wanted to leave something behind. 
These words, these wild and free thoughts, my little something I want to leave behind for you dear friends. 
Put on LOVE. 

In Peace, Not Pieces,
Anita



No comments:

Post a Comment