"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, March 27, 2023

Preparing for Grand Canyon pt 1

 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jer. 33:3


It has always been a dream of mine to see the Grand Canyon, one of the 7 wonders of the world. Truth is, I have never traveled to Arizona. Having a family we always went on vacations but never did a lot of flying due to the expense. 
The kids are older and cooler and don't want to hang out with mom and dad, so now mom and dad are having fun hanging out with each other. 
Andys high school buddies did a guy's trip last year and I sat home green with envy. 

But this June, we are going! I am going to try to share the details leading up to us going as well as our trip. All kinds of silly details starting with....
I quit eating out at lunch to save extra money. It's the little things. And the little things add up! 

Costs so far for Grand Canyon:
  • 2 nonstop flights to Phoenix Arizona: $1200 (Thats why I have been packing a lunch!)
  • Grand Canyon Permits: $58
  • Womans Osprey backpack 70L: $272 ( Used our coupon, saved $65!)
  • Andy insulated air mattress: $79 (on sale, 1/2 off) 
  • Anita insulated air mattress: $80 (used coupon saved $30)
  • REI Co-op half dome 2+ tent with footprint: $165 (Half off for REI members!)

Yeah, it is adding UP! We have a few more significant purchases, Andy a pack, bedding and rental car. 
We will try to borrow what we can to save money. 

MY PACK: It is probably a bit too big by this I mean capacity, but they really didn't have a large selection and my coupon was going to expire. 
They fit you at REI, and are very helpful. I originally did not want this pack due to the height of it looming over my head. Turns out that when this worker sized me he put me in a XS and it was so much better. 
Andy put about 20 LBs in it and I walked around and the pack felt even better. 


THE WEATHER:
So I have already gotten a summer weather alert. The weather in June is between 70-110'. But I am not going to worry about that now. One of the employees suggested I just bring a sheet, especially because menopause has turned me into a hot box. 

TRAINING:
I love this part! As soon as we get Andys pack we will start hiking. Just because I am a runner doesn't mean I am a hiker. This is all new terrain for me. I hope to start training in the next few weeks. 

In Closing, my concerns are not the distance we will be hiking, but the weight of the pack going out of the canyon. I have been warned that exiting out of the canyon is brutal.  Therefore, I shall just tuck that in the back of my little brain and entertain more pleasant thoughts like HOW Beautiful it is going to be! 



RUNDOWN: 
"It's amazing how the same pace in practice can feel so much harder than on race day. Stay confident. Trust the process." Sara Hall Pro Runer & Cofounder of the Hall Steps Foundation


Speaking of training. 
April marks my first 50K. This is a training run to get the legs turned over a little better. It is a trail race. 
This weekend I had a really discouraging weekend. I felt every day of my age.
49 never felt so sore, fatigued or exhausted as it did this weekend. 
I shared my grief of not being young anymore with Andy. He tried to encourage me telling me I just had a bad weekend. 
We had run trails together on Saturday in the cold, rainy, snowy weather that took a bite out of my confidence. Sunday, when I went for a solo 4 miler I couldn't get my legs to turn over and my heart rate was through the roof. Everything hurt, the voices in my head were hard to hear and rather than get a grip on them I entertained them into a pity party. 

I went to bed early in hopes I would sleep through the night and feel refreshed this morning. And it worked! 

MY take away. I have to be more intentional about RECOVERY. This means after a long run, CHILL OUT! I need to put my feet up, stretch, fuel and rest. 
Last weeks Miles: 56.3
Average weekly distance: 61 miles. 
Miles to date: over 700 

This is training. This averages out to ONLY 11 hours a week. Thats IT! There are 168 hours in a week. 
It just starts with lacing up those shoes. 
Believing in your abilities. 
Setting goals and daring to DREAM!! It starts with a dream. And it sure is exciting to watch the Lord move!! 

In Peace, not Pieces, 
Anita!




No comments:

Post a Comment