"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Lake Apopka 30K

 "It never always gets worse." 


"Mom, can't you just go on vacation and NOT run?" both my boys asked me. 
And I answered just the same, "It is part of vacation for me, I love running in new places." 

I say it all the time, different isn't always wrong. Sometimes things do not make sense to all of us, but it doesn't have to, to be right for someone else. 

When Andy gifted me my plane ticket for Christmas, I was so excited to see my family and I was also excited to find a race. If I didn't find a race I wouldn't be upset, I was mostly excited to see my family, a race would just be a bonus. 

"Ones destination is never a place rather a new way of seeing things." 
My brother gave his blessing to sign up for Adventhealth Lake Apopka 30K, a 2-hour drive from where they live. Afterall, he would be my Uber driver, it was his call!
Leeanne and Bobby, They even wore thier "Team Harless" tee shirts! I was so surprised! I felt so loved!


SORTA PREPARED. 
I had been eyeballing the forecast for days. I was thought I would be prepared for the 80'-degree weather I would be running in but NOT PREPARED for the terrain. I am a light packer and only brought one pair of running shoes. And the truth is they were purchased for this race. The problem was my PF was bothering me and I had the right shoes if I was running on trails, but upon better investigation I discovered the trail was more crushed and aged concrete. My feet would be a hot mess in my beautiful new Altras "Antonio" from Complete Runner had just put me in for the race. 
I ended up at Fleet Feet in Suart and purchased a pair of Topos, a shoe that I am very familiar with. I broke one of the golden rules of running, "Never wear or use anything new for a race without a trial run." 

The Starting Line: Overslept. 
The morning was 67' and not a cloud in the sky. The course description said that 80% of the course is exposed. 
Starting Time was 7:30am: Funny thing, I forgot to set my alarm for the race. My sister-in-love jumped up and woke us up at 6am. I guzzled down a cup of coffee, and pleasantly hit the bathroom. For getting up late everything moved very smooth, figuratively and literally! 
We had already did a dry run the day before so getting to the race was a piece of cake. 
The start was full of excitement and good music but unfortunately not on schedule. 

The First 5: Gunshots
MY EAGLE! Some other feathered friends. 


 But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. " 
Is. 40:31

We finally started at 8am, a half hour late and a few degrees hotter. I could feel the sweat beading on
 my forehead and tried to stay positive. 
I had prayed, and asked others for prayer to. My Michigan winter body was not acclimated to the warmth that was circling me like the turkey vultures overhead looking for death. 
The scenery was breathtaking. My eyes were darting everywhere but the trail. The path was as flat as a pancake but as hard as cement. The lake was on my left, massive and blue. On my right was a canal with thick foliage that was almost hidden. On both sides of the trail the birds rested in different places, in the water, in the trees, flying around you and even hidden down in the marshy areas of the water. Ducks, Herons, and many other birds of flight I didn't know. 
OHH OHH...But I did notice one VERY large nest in a dead tree. As I drew closer I found myself so excited that I looked for another runner near me to ask, "Is that an EAGLE?" The runner said "Yes, I saw him there in 2019..." I knew I was racing but I had to stop and take a photo. 
It was hard to get in a running rythym with the sounds of gunshots coming from the lake. It was hunting season on the lake; I was startled to see a boat heavily camouflaged on the edge of the shore with 2 hunters pointing guns in our direction toward the sky.  

My First 5 miles, I was running an average pace of 8:30min/mi. I was trying to beat the heat before it beat me.
This JOHN, I saw him on the course, I caught up to him. I could see he was having a hard time. I asked him his name and told him a like his shirt. But I didn't tell him was when I passed him, I would be praying for him. 


My Second 5: Aching UP
I slowed down. I was running with my hydration pack that only had water. I took some gels but knew I needed salt. I was praying over my foot that was not angry at me yet but a little irritated with the terrain. What was concerning me was more of my piriformis. Which is literally "a pain in the a$$"! I would stick my thumb deep in my butt muscle to try and relieve it. I prayed and prayed "Lord, if anyone prayed for me will you PLEASE hear their prayers!" 


My Second 5-10 miles, I was running an average pace of 8:40 min/ mile. 

Mile 10-15, Death March! 
My Death March, The Head Wind was atrocious. 

Running flat and fast is not something I have trained for. I was in the hurt locker. I was running my little heart out trying to stay on pace for a sub-9min/mi. I was no longer looking at that beautiful lake I was running telephone pole to telephone pole trying to not fall apart in the baking sun. I knew I needed salt or Gatorade. The aid station were "cupless". I had my hydration pack on but only had water in it. I could see an aid station and questioned going to it. I had already hit one aid station and had no way to drink the Gatorade. I had my music in my ears as I stared at the bright yellow tent about 500ft away. "Run to the water..." a song I cannot even find on my playlist sang through my headphones. "Is this a sign Lord?"  The lyrics repeated with "...run to the water..." As I approached the tent I asked again and scanned the table, and my heart skipped a beat when I located cups!! I smiled as wide as I could trying not to cry in my humbled spirit. "Thank you, thank you Lord..." 

I walked out of the aid station smiling in my suffering. I tried to get my legs to turn over but they felt like dead weight. I was so disheartened when we made a turn and a head wind hit me like a sucker punch. "For the LOVE of God..." I cried. To add injury to insult we turned onto the canal that was a passage of thick grass and tire divots. I dropped down to a 10min/mi trying to stay up with some of the other runners but the distance between us grew and I found myself walking. 
I saw a flock of very large birds sitting on the side of the trail, as I drew closer, I recognized them as turkey vultures. Fearless they didn't budge as I approached. I felt like death and laughed out loud at the irony of them being there almost waiting for me or welcoming me
Just when you think it couldn't get worse, you go UP to go over the bridge. 


My Third 10-15 miles, I was running an average pace of 8:50 min/mi. 

The Finish 30K, 18.5, UpHill Finish.  
"It never always gets worse." 
Three miles, anyone can do 3 miles I kept telling myself.  I was back on the trail and trying to pick up my pace. I coached myself with humor and math, trying to extrapolate numbers to finish. Thats probably why I was laughing, trying to juggle numbers in my bonked state was a joke. "COME ON Anita" I said out loud hoping it would encourage me or maybe commit me. I was in a covered trail with a canopy of trees protecting me from the beating sun. 
I gave up punching numbers and focused on my time. My goal was a 9min/ mile or roughly a 2:45 race. It was going to be so close. I passed a few runners who had bonked as well, and I was passed by a couple runners too. 

When my watch hit 18 miles, I only had 5 minutes to get a half a mile. I closed in on the runners who had passed me but then the incline began and offered a terrible switchback continuing UP. 
Thats when I saw a bridge at the top of another switchback. I had picked up my pace but seeing that incline I knew I was going to need a walk. 
"RAISE YOUR HANDS!!" I started to laugh when I saw Bobby and Leeanne on the bridge cheering for me. I could barely raise my legs let alone my arms. I smiled and said, "I'm TRYING and DYING!" 
As I drew near to the bridge Bobby was taking photos and cheering for me. But I was eyeing the underside of the bridge where I was going to sneak a walk. Out of sight I shamelessly began to walk. Thinking no one could see me I hear a "DON'T Walk! Come ON, your almost there, GET GOING!!" 
They both went to the other side of the bridge and busted me! 

It took everything I had and a lot of what I didn't have to pull it together and run. 
I could hear the music and the DJ as I continued to run UP. I begged God and my body to keep running. 
The Finish was just on the other side of that final switchback literally at the top of the ONLY hill and elevation in the entire race! 
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse!

RUNDOWN:

I missed 3rd overall female by 30 seconds. I did take 1st place masters but it you notice I didn't have any competition! 

Turning 49 last year whispers in my ear, "You're getting older..."
Between my piriformis and my PF, I hear, "Your broken..."
Going through cancer in 2019 still mumbles "your body is never going to be as strong..." 
With sweat dripping I hear the screams of "YOU BONKED, just walk it in..." 
NOOOOOO!! 
On the mountain or in the valley I fight on. I pray harder, shameless I beg, I plead, and I am not going down without a fight! 
Everything HURT when I finished, I collapsed in the grass as my brother and sister in love stood over me. 
My enemy is MYSELF. The conversation I entertain between my ears. 
My Advocate of also MYSELF. Who am I listening to? 
Suffering is a trophy of success. I hit my goal. I could have shaved a couple minutes off my time if I hadn't taken so many photos, I was reminded by a few people, however; I was so happy. 
"Ones destination is never a place rather a new way of seeing things." 
Running isn't meant to last forever so while I can still run, I am going to embrace it all. 
The fight, the sweat, the beauty, the peace, the failures, the grace and the experiences. 
They are all a GIFT. Glory to God. 

 

In Peace not Peices, Anita~
This is one of the BEST race shirts I have ever gotten! I loved all the swag! All things Gators!





1 comment: