"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Small Victories

 "Acknowledge all of your small victories. They will add up to something good." Kara Goucher, World Championships Silver Medalist



I just wanted to run with the big dogs. I wanted to at least try to stay with them as long as I could. Tonight "Altra" would have a table with their shoes at Complete Runner for us to try on for our group run. It was a good thing because I showed up in my VANS, forgetting my muddy running shoes at home. I wanted to push myself. If my body let me run without any pain, if my feet didn't burn or ache I wanted soo badly to stay push my pace with the faster runners. 

Our first mile was 8:30min/mi. That is really fast for me these days. But we were all laughing at Antoniou and Ryans crazy stories and jokes. Andy gently warned me to slow down, even grabbing my arm in concern. "Ugh, you are so stubborn..."

Stubborn? Stupid? A glutton for punishment? I don't know. I am not going down without a fight. I came out of the womb fighting. It is hard to take the fight out of you when all you know is to clench your fists and fight.

Not every fight is won. Not every fight should be fought. But I would rather recover from a fight fought then be left with the regret of never trying.

So many small victories this week. Victories don't show up wrapped in bubble wrap and delivered by the UPS guy. 

I fought for every victory, every little victory. Every pace, every mile, every good attitude. 

I fought this week to forgive. I fought this week to show compassion. I fought this week to love better, to be a better listener and to remove those destructive thoughts. 

I fought Wednesday, biking and running back to back in the rain, alone with my own miserable thoughts, I fought. 

I fought today at mile 4 when everything was getting so hard. My breathing was heard by everyone. I couldn't hold a conversation any longer. I fell back a few seconds fighting to stay close. My side was burning like a new runner. I kept my eyes focused on the traffic light a half mile ahead. 
Andy, just a step behind me  encourages me, "Your doing good...". He resigned to just letting me run. 

I'm gonna keep fighting for those little victories. 

Our little victories make a big difference. 

Its in the little things. If you can't acknowledge the little things you will never notice or appreciate the large things. 

Yesterday, Christa at work shampooed my hair. READ that again. I HAD MY HAIR SHAMPOOED. Andrea grabbed my blow dryer and helped me blow my hair out....When I was alone I RAN my finger through my hair. I felt my face flush, my eyes blinked back the tears. Last year, I was bald, hairless. I could feel my hair as it slipped through my fingers. I could smell the perfume in the shampoo. I could feel my hair blowing when the blow dryer worked the moisture out of it. 

 "Acknowledge all of your small victories. They will add up to something good." 

A lot can change in a year. Today was my 6 month check up with my Breast Surgeon, Pam Johnson. I LOVE this lady. She is my hero. Today, she helped remind me of all my little victories. 


I AM ASKING FOR PRAYER. Can you PLEASE pray for my friend Dave. I met him last year volunteering at a race. He had NO IDEA I was battling cancer until my afro flew off from a costume I was wearing. Boy did I give everyone a shock! Well Dave was having seizures a few months ago and they discovered a tumor on his brain. Tomorrow he is undergoing a very long surgery in Ann Arbor. He will be asleep for some of it but he will also be away for some of it too. Please lift him up in prayer. 

Anita~



No comments:

Post a Comment