"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

This Quaratined Life: Jeffs HUGS





When I was diagnosed with TNBC I called Jeff, he was at a loss for words. The silence told me Jeff was choosing his words. That is Jeff. He chooses his words and they are always perfect. He is a kind soul. I am blessed to call him friend. 

Todays guest writer is JEFF. 
The first time I ever met Jeff was at Snap Fitness over 10 years ago. He would be on the treadmill next to me. We are both that person that likes to talk to strangers or those that are strange! We have since shared many miles together, we even ran Boston together in 2014.  
I have looked up to Jeff as a coach. He is like "Rainman" with numbers, always adding, subtracting, extrapolating miles, pace repeats, it makes my head explode. 
Jeff has a goofy sense of humor, making me feel a little more "normal." I used to think God broke the mold when he made me, but then I met Jeff and realized I am not the only goofball out there. 
You are in for a treat reading this

*********************************************************************
Most mornings since I retired several years ago my wife and I wake up, make the bed together, and meet at the foot of the bed for a hug.  We never begin a day without it; at least when we get up together.  After 48 years of marriage we take nothing for granted.  We hug for thanks, making it through another night and we hug in celebration of spending one more day together. We’ve always been “huggers”….in churches, friends, and especially family.



She’s the last and only person I’ve been able to hug since March 9th.  You’d think that being able to hug your soulmate on a daily basis would be enough; and in many respects you’d be right; but I so miss the other hugs.  I miss hugging “my girls”…both now in their 40’s; the oldest who had a pretty severe bout with Covid herself. I remember one long night in late March when her pulse/ox readings dipped to dangerous levels and she was struggling to breathe. She was debating whether or not she would go to the hospital.  My wife broke down sobbing; “we’re gonna lose her she said, I just know it.” All I wanted as a father was to hug her and tell her “I’m here for you”….and I couldn’t. I so miss hugging my 4 grandkids ranging in age from 9-26.



The oldest two grandkids live about 2 miles from me, the two youngest live near Los Angeles: but distance is irrelevant now, isn’t it. The littlest one would run across the airport and throw herself into my arms, squeezing me so tight she would almost cut off my air.  People hail Facetime, Zoom and the other forms of visual contact without touch; and to be sure they help.  But communication in this fashion has limits.  I can’t hug through a screen, can’t feel the squeeze around my neck, the warmth of the cheek against mine. I can’t walk through an airport hand-in-hand….but we’re living.  At the end of the day that’s what counts. Never thought the innocent act of hugging from other people would have such meaning….God, what I wouldn’t give for one now.
**********************************************************************************


I so enjoyed reading his Quarantine thoughts, Hugs. Yes, please.


They invented hugs to let people know you love them without saying anything.     
Bil Kean


Come back tomorrow for Danielles Quaratnine thoughts. These are so encouraging. 
Anita~





No comments:

Post a Comment