"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, February 1, 2018

This weekends New Adventure


"Adventure is worthwhile" Aesop

This weekend will be a first for me in a couple ways. 
It will be my first 25K.
It will be my first night trail race. 


"In any adventure like this, there are always uncertainties." Richard Branson


Where: Midlands City Forest Ski Trails
When: Saturday, Feb. 3rd 6:30pm
Distances:
  • 5K walk, run, ruck
  • 15Krun/ruck
  • 25K run
Course: The race is composed of a 5k trail course. Midland’s City Forest on wide-track cross country ski trails and mountain bike trails.

Misc: 25K=15.53 miles
Temps: 25'

Last Saturday night,  we had a group run that met at Holdridge in Holly for a little practice run. We were actually spoiled with 40' degree weather..
It only took one 4 mile loop on the West loop to start layering up. The temperatures dropped dramatically. The cold air was a little more than brisk fresh winter air. 

A couple things I was REMINDED OF on that practice run:
  1. Do not LAUGH and run. I fell 4 times and peed my pants twice. 
  2. When speaking to people remember to turn off your headlamp or your friends will be blinded before they start. 
  3. Don't forget you can not sneak up on your friends when you glow in the dark. Oops
  4. Coyotes will not attack humans, but for some weird reason have been known to attack horses..Just keep running, that hackling is NOT puppies. 
  5. Bring layers. 
  6. Bring a thermos with hot coffee or whatever beverage you choose. 
  7. Don't forget your headlamp has angles you can adjust it...
  8. Bring EXTRA batteries for your headlamp and flashlight. 
  9. If you are coming to a patch of ice, error on the safe side: WALK. 
  10. Even if it is dark and cold...Have FUN, laugh, smile, and enjoy the adventure, but DON'T trip!

A few things to remember when running in the dark on snowy trails:
  1. Katoolas, mico spikes or screws, a must, we are supposed to get snow.
  2. Find your sweet spot on the trails when it comes to lighting. Sometimes it is difficult to see running with other peoples headlamps. Bringing a small Maglite may help if you struggle with multiple lighting. 
  3. Take a minute to turn off your lighting and enjoy your surroundings. The sky and the stars are amazing. 
  4. Don't be afraid to fall. If you run afraid you run tense. Relax and enjoy the ride. 


My Personal Preparations:
  1. I purchased Noxgear. I might not be cool but at least I can look cool! 
  2. I am wearing my Sealskinz. They will keep my feet both dry and warm.
  3. MITTENS. Mittens over gloves to keep your hands warm
  4. Hand warmers.
  5. Fuzzy blanket to warm up with when I am finished.  

One of the things I did was able to do this week was to getting one solid trail run. This would give me an idea what the trails could be like. Monday the trails were very heavy with fresh snow. This provided great training and prep for this Saturday. 
Todays run was in total avoidance of trails. I didn't want to risk injury. I also needed a solid pace. 

Kensington Metropark was calling my name. I brought my miles down. I ran a steady pace, really enjoying my canvas and my company, me. 
I stopped to take pictures of the lake every couple miles. I laughed when I saw my pace. I felt great running but then of COURSE I did, I kept stopping to snap a picture. You can run a lot faster, stronger when you are stopping to take pictures. It wasn't a serious run and it made me feel like a rockstar running sub 9min/miles at Kensington, not a path for the faint at heart.

"I'm still a kid inside, and adventure is adventure wherever you find it."
Jim Dale


One of the reasons I wanted to run at Kensington is the farm animals. Its the little things that make me smile. Goats, chickens, roosters, geese and really stinky pigs. It was fun to embrace the day, how ever it decided to unravel itself. 
The adventure in it is not taking yourself too serious. Life has so much opportunity to be serious. Every once in a while it feels good to go in with a flexible plan and an open mind. 


Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment