"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Finishing Her run.

"Bear Ye one another's burdens and so fulfill the Law of Christ." Gal 6:2

Channel 12 passed us as we ran down Fish Lake road.
"Crap!" I yelled up to Jama, "WHAT time is it?"

Lacey met at my house. She picked up Andy and I. The three of us headed to Jama's house to meet her and Claudia. Then the 5 of us headed to Rose Oaks for a Memorial Run for Alexandra Bruegar.
We had 20 minutes to run 2.5 miles.
The group got to witness Andy and I,  Marriage Conflict 101.. We discovered we dropped the cooler and water off at the wrong entrance. To me it wasn't a big deal. But I live in the land of mishaps and mistakes. Andy...not so much.
We had to pick up the pace. This very empty stretch of road was full of cars heading towards Rose Oaks.
I couldn't be late, I had organized this little event that appeared larger than I expected. I tried to calm down, relax and just remember this was for Alexandra.

Alexandra was a local Holly runner who was shot and killed a little over a week ago while running. She was a very dedicated runner who ran almost every day this stretch of road near her parents house.

As we ran, I couldn't help but look at my girls around me. Andy ran just a few feet behind me. I was surrounded by runners. My friends drove by me waving at us. So much support. I was so blessed.

We turned into the park and it was packed.
Kay, my dear friend and fellow coach came out with KT taped around her knee. She finally got clearance to run 1 mile. She brought her daughter and friend to support and give back. That's who she is.
Lukas, one of my cross country runners was there with his family and Harry another cross country runner.
My trail running partners, Kris and Rachel.
Moms and runners from my sons school were there, Erin and Jennifer.
Then there were those I have ran with, MaryAnn, and Ken. Ken already ran that morning but rode his bike to show support.  .
My head was spinning. So many people came out to support this runner, this runner none of us even knew.

BUT this is what we DO. We are NOT just a person on the road with nothing better to do. We come together. Runners unite, engage and gather together. They support one another and encourage each other.
"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed." Ecc 4:9
We are mothers, fathers, children, coworkers, neighbors, grandparents, friends.
We are not out there sweating this summer for nothing. We have dreams, goals, ideas, plans. We have heartaches, hardships, and life circling around us.
This run is our outlet, our therapy, our lifeline.
Many runs are for a bigger cause, for a loved one struggling, or just something bigger than ourselves.
Our run gives us peace, comradery, clarity, compassion, strength, stamina and spirituality.
It took everything to hold the tears back.

We gathered together to FINISH HER RUN.
Kris walked under the tree to meet her father. She asked if she could pray for him. Broken and overcome by the love, he welcomed her prayer. Everyone gathered, laying hands on one another as Kris lead a beautiful prayer.
Franz, her father spoke heartfelt and thankful.  I said a few words to thank everyone for coming out to support Alexandra and her family. I opened it up to anyone that might like to speak.
Words for spoke from several.  Beautiful words, loving words, and some even brought gifts for the father.

Many runners brought an old pair of running shoes to dedicate in honor of Alexandra as a memorial.

All different, from different backgrounds, different nationalities, different genders, lifestyles, professions, WE became ONE.

As One, we strolled out of Rose Oaks, some running, some biking and some walking, we headed to the memorial of flowers about a mile down Fish Lake road.
As One, we would Honor this young lady, this daughter, this coworker, this friend, this Runner and Finish Her Run.



Anita~




1 comment:

  1. Your so generous!
    Your heart is touched by so many!
    Your one kind of special!

    ReplyDelete