"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Race: Recap: Recovery: Repeat

 You can't be too scared to fail, or you will never even try. 
I boarded the airplane alone like I do every time this time of year to see my brother and sister. 
And also, to do "A thing"!
Leeanne and I did a 5K the day before the marathon. 


To do a THING: Treasure Coast Marathon. RECAP
Stuart, Florida.  
I went into this marathon broken. No speed work, shin pain, and lacking confidence. 
I also walked to the starting line solo. I knew NO ONE, I drove with my brother-in-law. 
It was 5:50am and I could feel the Florida humidity resting in the air moisturizing my fears even more. As I tried to settle into myself, I heard my phone buzz in my fanny pack. 
"Where are you at?" It was my brother. He had gone to the Oliver Anthony concert the night before; therefore, I had spent the night with my sister, her husband was running the half marathon and was going to the starting line early. 

I looked around and responded with my location and was so stoked that I found them! We prayed together and I jumped back in before the gun went off. 

I told myself from the very beginning I would give my all. I was aiming for a 3:50 marathon but hoping I would have a little extra room. The goal was to qualify for NYC Marathon, I would need a sub 3h:51. 
Some things I told myself:
  • This is going to HURT. 
  • Focus on the prize not the pain. 
  • You cannot half a$$ this Anita. 
  • You are capable, The Lord will see you through, but you are going to have to fight. 
The course was rather flat, with 2 very large bridge crossings. The marathon was also an out and back, with the bridges in the first 5 miles making them also the last 5 miles. 

GO! 

I prayed the 26.2 miles of pavement would not wreck my shins as I headed out with the other 200 runners. The runners were all so friendly and I found myself chatting with several runners with similar goals. As I settled in, I found myself running with this gal who looked like she could be related to me.
We exchanged names and as we asked each other questions I discovered we had a lot in common. 
  • We had almost the same goal time, by only a minute.
  • Both our names started with an "A"; her name was Amanda. 
  • Amanda was originally from Michigan! 
  • And Amanda was a Jesus follower. 
I believed I had just been given an angel to help me to the finish line. As we chatted I got more and more attached to her. 
Caught up in the excitement of my new friend I was surprised to see my brother and sister on the course cheering me on! 
Bobby and Leeanne would be waiting for me every few miles! As I approached mile 11, I called them, and they had a cold bottle of my mixed energy drink waiting for me to swap out. 
It was a perfect hand off. 
I fell back a little in the exchange, but I was able to catch up. I was apprehensive to try my drink as it looked my white Pepto-Bismol. 
IT was GOOD! 
And in the full sun it was like magic energizing me. 
At mile 17, I was feeling pretty good but knew the end was near. I had been taking in nutrition and drinking at every stop. 4 aid stations ran out of water! As we approached 20 miles my legs began to feel heavy and I had already lost a full bladder, peeing all down my legs. I knew stopping was not going to be an option. The temperatures were in the high 70's, we were beginning to pick off runners when my side began to ache so bad. I dug my fingers deep into my side stitch trying to relieve the pain as I watched Amanda slowly break away. 
I also watched her heading up the bridge. In significant pain, I coached myself to walk for 10 seconds, bring down my heartrate, catch my breath and get back at it. 
And I prayed. 
I looked down at my watch, less than 5 miles to go. I looked up, sweat beading on my skin I clung on to the shadows of Amanda. 
Breathless, exhausted I caught her at the top, "WE made IT, I'm up, I'm up..." Just those few words depleted me. 
I tried so hard to embrace the victory of making it up that bridge, but I could see the next just minutes away. 
I tucked in as close as I could to Amanda. She would call out my name to make sure I was still with her. 
Worn out, I whispered "I'm here...."
I took a gel hoping it would be like sorcery and I would be foot loose and fancy. 
Truth is, it sustained me. With a mile to go, I fell back again. I looked at my time and knew I couldn't fall apart. I didn't have time to slow down, I could see the finish line and knew the course was over. 
I had to GOO. 
That finish line came 2/10ths over. I wasn't sure if I was going to puke or pass out. 
My stomach knotted up and my vision blurred over as my brother was shouting at me! I gave the best smile I could as I tried to stay upright and crossed the finish line. 
I DID IT. 


"We Entertain Angels Unaware." 

Amanda and I ran together almost the whole race. When was leading I would yell "YOU got this Amanda...." 
And when Amanda was leading, she would turn her head back to locate me and encourage me too. 
Then there was my brother and sister in love, they were all over that course and even went into a grocery store to get me Gatorade. 
Blessed, Favored, Loved, Humbled. 
The Lord made a way when I questioned all my abilities. It was more than what I had though. I had to fight; He would provide a way, but I had to do the work. 

Recovery
Everything hurts and I am dying. I am 11 days out and I am still on the struggle bus! Tight hamstrings, fatigue, and minor aches and pains. 
I have brought my miles down, walked instead of ran and even got a massage that was so painful I yelped! 
Ice, roll, stretch and remind myself this is all my "A" race in JUNE. 
This is training. 

March 4-10th
Distance: 62 miles
Elevation: 2,734

I am TAPERING for Blackbeard's Revenge 100K in the Outer Banks. ALL pavement! 
This is going to be a fun race! And another training run for Kettle Moraine 100. 
The last couple weeks I have been reminded that victorious battles are won with pain and perseverance. They are won NOT in fear but in faith with fear. I go into battle with fear, but it is FAITH that leads. If it doesn't scare you a little, then I have to question the battle. 
The Lord provides a way for victory in our battles, but we still have to FIGHT. 

In Peace, Not Pieces, 
Anita~

4 comments:

  1. Great job. You are such an inspiration and a warrior. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Great job!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! So proud of you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! God is so good! You are truly a warrior! 💜

    ReplyDelete