"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, April 11, 2021

The Marathon that didn't happen, sorta

 "I've always been good at putting things behind me- I fall apart, do my crying bit, and then put it away and move on."  Paula Radcliffe

Lacey, Chris and I.  

This weekend Lacey and I were supposed to run Wisconsin Marathon in Milwaukee. They cancelled it weeks ago. I was actually in Florida the day after my A1A epic failure  when Lacey called me with news. I was so bummed. 

Truth be told, between her schedule, marathon schedules that were not virtual or cancelled, we really didn't have many options left. 
But I kept training like something would just show up in the books. "Run the Mitt" has offered a fun way of keeping the legs moving but no marathon for us. 

Yesterday, I made a last minute decision. 
I had a long run with Lacey and Chris for 15 miles but had not yet confirmed my little idea with myself so I never verbalized it. 
Lacey dropped me off at home and I told her I was going to keep running to find Andy. Andy was somewhere running. 
I still wasn't sure what my plan was. I headed down the back roads to Holly Rec to meet Andy. I thought it was roughly 7 or 8 miles to the park and through the park to the Wilderness loop. 
As I reached the parking lot, I saw Andy, he never saw me. He was coming off the trail, I just followed about 30 yards behind him.  
He hit his watch to shut off his Garmin and looked up, "OHH Hi!" 
I was laughing.
"Anita, how did you get here?" Andy asked exhausted. 
"I ran.." I giggled. 
"You've gotta be freaking kidding me!" Then asked what I was doing. 
"I don't know, I think I will run a marathon today." I smirked. 


And that is exactly what I did. It wasn't fast. It was 2 runs combined to make over 27 miles. I actually had Andy come back to pick me up on Grange Hall Rd. He didnt get there as soon as I was done so I just kept running till I saw him driving towards me. I was out of water, down to 1 Gu and out of electrolytes. But I felt pretty good overall. 

It wasn't Wisconsin Marathon but it was my marathon. The last 4 miles is mostly downhill. I think I smiled the whole time. That cheesy grin that you feel yourself almost blushing with excitement. 

Today, I woke up and nothing hurt. That does not mean I didn't "feel" 27 miles. My body was very fatigued. I had some tender parts. I knew I wasn't going to run today. 

Truth is I did an active recovery. I walked 2 times and biked to find Andy doing his long run. 
I felt like sludge! 
Tonight, added my miles for the week. 
Over 80 miles. This is where if you are not careful you will get injured. 
This week I got a massage, drank extra protein smoothies, didn't run fast just steady, stretched and rolled and had a very grateful attitude. 

I am so grateful. I am grateful I had the courage to go big this week. 
I am grateful I was able to be realistic in my approach. Go slow, take it easy and you can be successful, I told myself. 
I am grateful I has been patient, doing the work controlled. 
I am grateful I could do the long haul. I have been trying to train wisely. I have been training more like the tortoise and not the hare. I know I can not sustain high intensity workouts. 

"I've always been good at putting things behind me- I fall apart, do my crying bit, and then put it away and move on."  Paula Radcliffe


Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment