"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Taking the High Road

"In this life we are all just walking up the mountain and we can sing as we climb or we can complain about our sore feet. Whichever, we choose, we still gotta do the hike, I decided a long time ago that singing made a lot more sense." Anonymous 


Most of us have misfortunes that we never saw coming. A life unexpected. We tread up these mountains in life grumbling and complaining about our misfortune and series of unfortunate events.

Most of us have been hoofing up this mountain of life and we really have not traveled that far, not far enough to rest soo long on the pity pot the way we do.

We feel battered and tired, often finding ourselves discouraged. When we look at the route we have traveled rather than seeing how much we have overcome we sink inside ourselves feeling our pain.

Sore, beaten. discouraged we struggle to really find that "High Road".

I am SOO grateful for those friends of mine that always lead me down the "High Road".

That's the road that is still climbing upwards, we are still sore and hurt from the path behind us but the company around us is encouraging, supportive and they too have trudged the same path.

The "High Road". The road that lets go of bitterness, resentments, expectations, that is a heavy load to carry on our journey up that mountain.

Philippians 2:14a “Do everything without complaining and arguing..." 
As we climb on, find your happy pace, don't quit.



RUNDOWN: 
At 3 am, I had found myself tossing and turning in bed for hours. My body was screaming, everything hurt. 
I overdid it again at the gym. 
I didn't do that much to explain my suffering. 

I ran a 5mile tempo run, 3 miles at a 10k pace and you would have thought I was going to keel over. WOW! It hurt, but it felt so good to finish when every mile your body is trying to convince you to quit.
I stretched, rolled, did core, and squats and lunges. 

OH OH OH...and I took my socks and shoes off and went old school. The Bag. The snap across your bare feet as you throw a roundhouse to it, warms me. 
SNAP! Again and Again. "Arms up Nita, bring it in tight.." I could hear my old coaches "NITA, don't chicken wing..." 

Next I knew I was sweating, breathing heavy and looking at red knuckles. This guy comes over to me, "HEY, HEY, I have gloves, here, here, use my gloves." He wouldn't take no for an answer. It felt wonderful. 

Sore...Every fiber in me hurt. 

This morning I knew I had to go out sore. No excuses. 
I met the girls at Holly Rec, hoping and praying for an easy FUN run. I didn't tell them how sore I was, I wanted them to run however they were going to. 
10 miles on the trails. 10 miles through snow, ruts, slippery leaves and honestly perfect winter weather. I slipped a couple times, even twisted my ankle once but its all part of training. 
One mile at a time. I was tuckered at mile one. The hills felt like a death sentence. My legs were cursing me. 
But together we did it. We laughed, took photos like we used to, told ridiculous stories and encouraged one another. 
The High Road. 

Training in the Winter trails. 
**In the winter, wearing more of a rugged shoe is better if you are a little concerned about traction. A more ridged sole with more stability. I wear the Brooks Cascadias.
If you are a lot concerned, add some micro spikes or Katoolas.

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment