"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Ordinary in the Land of OZ

 "The Lord gives STRENGTH to His people; The Lord blesses His people with peace." 

Psalm 29:11



Who's behind the curtain? I refer often to "The wizard of OZ" when it comes to honesty and transparency. 
As well as accepting of who we are versus who we try to be. 

Did you know that the word "Strength" is translated from the Old Testament as "OZ"?
Oz also means "security, force, majesty, might, and boldness." 
A powerful image the Wizard of Oz attempted to uphold. 

In a time where you can get almost anything overnight, Strength is not something you can hide behind a curtain or add to your cart. 
There are many things that are not available to all. 
But Strength is available to even the ordinary. 
Strength from the Lord can make the ordinary extraordinary. 

" Runners come in all shapes and sizes. You don't have to be a scrawny little punk to be a top distance runner, If you have the determination and work your hardest." Chris Solinsky 

Many are in search of true strength
I have searched in all the wrong places coming up more than short, I have been disappointed, duped, and depressed at my feeble attempts to pull myself up by my bootstraps. 
Many years ago I had a dream.  I found this late in life passion for running, I discovered the Lord had gifted me. God laid it on my heart to run a marathon and try to qualify for Boston on my first attempt. 
I was just a peon. 
I had no formal training. 
I had no knowledge of running. 
I had no idea how to run a marathon.
I knew no runners to coach or help me. 
Truth is I was just a mom of 2 little boys. A little less than ordinary is how I felt. 
But Andy believed in me. 
I prayed. 
I worked hard. 
I bought books to learn. 
I sought the Lord in my inadequacies, insecurities, and inabilities. 
Chicago 10-10-10. I DID IT! It was the hardest thing I have ever physically done.  But the Lord strengthened me. 
When I thought I was going to pass out at mile 20 in 90', I prayed. 
When I was getting the cold chills from the heat, I prayed. 
When I couldn't feel my legs moving, I prayed. 
When I heard discouragement and failure screaming at me, I prayed. 
I was a nobody, less than ordinary trying to do the extraordinary. I was out of my league. 
But GOD. 
A year later, I went out to run a race that ended up being my "Epic Failure". 
I fell apart. I had no strength, no stamina, nothing. 
The truth is. I was like the wizard. I had been hiding behind Ego and Pride. I took off to this race without the Lords blessing. 
I failed because I was hiding behind Self. I thought I could go out in my own STRENGTH
My Epic Failure. 

RUNDOWN: Training for Bear Lake 24hour
Weekly Miles: 105
Long Run: 35.5


Saturday was my long run, a 6 hour training run. I had been praying for God to keep me safe and strong. 
It wasn't about pace, it was about time on your feet. 
I started running a little after 6. 
6 miles to Rachels house, in the dark and racing a train to the tracks, I ran solo. 
I jumped in her truck and we headed to meet Kris on Groveland Rd. The 3 of us shared 8 miles together. 
I headed back out alone when I heard a car coming up to me, it was ANDY! 
Pickles to help with CRAMPING!


He surprised me to shared 12 miles together before he got back in the car and headed home. 
I had a little over an hour to run but it was 8 miles home, my watch had me at a little over 26 miles. 
I knew I was going to be over 6 hours but I had no other way home but to run. 
It was 85 degrees, I was almost out of water, I smelled like road kill and my body was sticky with sweat. I found myself laughing to the Lord. I felt good. I just kept thanking Him. 
Mile 31 was a 8:58 min/mi. I was humbled by the strength and perseverance the Lord was showering me with.
I am ordinary. A simpleton. Your average Joe. 
The Lord gives Strength to the weary.
The Lord gives Strength to His people. 


I have many epic failures when I have attempted to go out in my strength. But The Lord gives the Ordinary the Extraordinary! Seek HIM if your in a season your struggling to find strength. He sees you. He loves you. 
 
At Mile 34 I was out of water, I saw my friend Melissa outside through the trees and started YELLING! 
"GATORADE, Melissa, do you have any...!" She just happened to be outside and came running to my rescue with Gatorade!


  • Bear Lake 4 weeks away.
  • BIG SHOUT OUT to Jazz, Sarah, Doug and Donny. The four of them ran Holland Marathon crushing goals! 
  • WTG Meagan on her first Triathlon!
  • And Great job to all those who ran Woodstock, Steve, Sean C, Tina and her hubby, Mary, Dave and so many more!
In Peace, Not pieces, 
Anita~

1 comment:

  1. I love your stories. You are such an inspiration!!!!

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete