"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Walk this way. Grand Canyon Training.

 "Falling down is an accident, staying down is a choice."


I was able to gear up and get out for my first training hike for the Grand Canyon last week. Andy and I received an invite from a friend of ours to go for a walk. Antonio invited us over and I was throwing my new Osprey pack in the truck full of excitement. 

I placed my pack on my hips, in the very place that didn't feel comfortable. But with a little weight in the pack, it settled nicely. 
We went for a 2 mile hike down the backroads of Davisburg. Both Andy and Antonio made comments about how big the pack looked on me, I am kind of a dwarf in comparison to the size of the pack. 
I am 5'2, 110 lbs and my pack is a 70liter pack, making me look lost inside it. But the truth is, as large as it is the pack is NOT heavy and was not uncomfortable. 

When Andy and I got home we pulled out the tent from my pack. (Andy had placed our 5LB tent in the pack for a little extra weight on our hike.) 
"Anita, you wanna set the tent up? Andy asked.
Even though it was almost 8 pm, I was so hyped to do it. 


We purchased a REI Brand tent for half the price of the name brands. I am NOT the sharpest tool in the shed. When Andy pulled out all the canvas and poles while my brain started to explode!

Thankfully this was not Andys first rodeo, he put the tent together in less than 10 minutes, I helped but only did what I was told because I had NO idea what going on! 


So, tent anxiety is GONE! 
No issues on my baby hike! 

Andy ordered his pack, so we can hike together and get REAL serious! 

Tripped UP:
"Sometimes when things are falling apart they are actually falling into place." 
I am as transparent as I can be. What you see is what you get. So today when I tripped running, I found myself chuckling. 
It was an UGLY fall. Both hands caught my body buried in the weeds. Everything landed including my pride. 
I really don't have any trail pride because I fall almost every time I run. 
In the heat, Danielle and I started early, however we didn't run without suffering. When I fell it was not a shocker. I was over heated, almost out of water and tired, these elements are a sure proof sign of a trip and fall for me. 

We ran Highland Rec. trail. This is almost a 17 mile trail with enough elevation in the first 5 miles to send your toosh and calves crying. 
We were excited for the challenge, or so we thought. Truth is it was a quiet run unless you count my heavy breathing. 
So after tripping multiple times and then going almost head over heels unashamed, I had nothing but time to think. 

We all trip up. When I fall I always go back to find the culprit. The root, the rock, the little booger that took me out. But the reality is I am just looking for something to blame my clumsiness on. 
The trail is covered with ankle breakers and objects of disaster. But when I am not aware of my surroundings or I am tired, thirsty, hungry or just not focused I get tripped up and it's no ones fault but MY OWN. 

INSPECT what you EXPECT. I have to look at MYSELF, my weakness, my role, rather than looking for someone or something to blame my "trip ups" on. 

As tired, hot, hungry and thirsty as our run was, it was a VICTORIOUS run. 
The run itself was HARD. We challenged ourselves to do the hard stuff this morning. To push ourselves. And even though we ran our legs more than we ran our mouths, even though we were gritting it out, our finished product brought a smile to our face! 
I was praising the Lord all the way home. 
I was reminded we are NOT too old. 
It does not have to look pretty. Just don't give UP. 

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment