"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Idol of Running

CONSIDER your CALLING. 


For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29 so that no man may boast before God. 30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written, ‘Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord’” 1 Corinthians 1:26 to 31

I have been doing a bible study on IDOLS. The study breaks down idolatry into compartments: 

  • Approval of Man
  • Busyness
  • Control
  • Comfort
  • Self Sufficiency
  • Appearance
  • Body Image
  • Health and Fitness
  • Food
  • Knowledge
  • Success and Achievements
  • Work
  • Security
  • Materialism
  • Perfectionism
  • Pleasure
  • Passions
  • Screens
Several weeks into this study I have been humbled. Idols are described as anything you put on the alter of your heart. I have discovered blind spots in my walk that have humbled me. 
The approval of man, friends, children, self sufficiency, health and fitness to name a few! 
Authentic, fearfully and wonderfully made! 


THIS IDOL called Running. 
There was a day that my identity was in my running. My insecurity ran high. I had the need of approval and affirmation. I wanted to be part of something. My idolatry went unchecked and almost wrecked me. 
I found a false identity in my running. I put my running on the throne of my heart and when I tore my meniscus for the second time I saw what I had placed on the alter as I was on my knees. 

I had to choose to live from a place of Authenticity:
I have used my running to encourage, teach and share, starting a blog as a starter. 
In the beginning, I shared many details. These details even though were honest, they might have come across braggadocios.  I then began to share my UGLY. I began sharing my mishaps, my misfortunes and my misdirection's. 

I had to choose to live from a place of Acceptance. 
Through many injuries that sidelined me from running, I had to "BE STILL AND KNOW". 
I had to KNOW that HE IS the GOD of my heart. Not running, not victories, not passions, not accolades or any other idol that was lurking in the corners of my heart. 
I had to sit with knee surgeries, IT band injuries, plantar fasciitis, grief and cancer and learn that it was out of my control. I had to learn to ACCEPT the good with the bad, accepting ALL of it. 

I had to choose to live from a place of Allowance.
John 3:27 "John answered and said "A man can receive nothing unless it ahs been given to him from heaven." 
Recognizing that running was and is a GIFT from the Lord not an entitlement. He Allows me to run. He hears the passions of my heart and He gives and He takes. I have had to humbly ask the Lord many times if it is the will of God that I run and if not would he gently remove that passion from me. 

I have had to choose to live from a place of Amazement. 
1Cor. 4:7 "For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive and if you did receive it why do you boast as if you had not received it?"
I am Amazed every time I lace up my shoes, at almost 49 the Lord is still using these wobble sticks for His Glory. I feel my throat closing and tears falling in genuine humility that He gifted me for His Glory. He challenges me physically and prepares me for great and mighty things that make no sense to me or others. 
I ran 2 ultras and one marathon going through chemo making my Dr's crazy, questioning how and why. My answer every time, Glory to God, He is my strength and portion forever. 

I had to choose to live from a Audience of ONE. 
I have learned that I can use my accomplishments to serve others through my writing, my testimony and coaching as a ministry.  I have also learned that when I am looking for the affirmation or accolades I am replacing God for others.  If I exercise a heart of humility, giving God the glory, HE will lift me up. Although it is kind and encouraging when we receive affirmations from others it does not become necessary. 




THE HEART of the MATTER:
Pride and ego is a petri dish for idols to grow. Before we try to captivate others we must first be captivated by HIM. It is only then we can go confidently in HIM, using the Gifts He has given us to His Glory. 
But when I get "greedy in glory" I  have exchanged The Lord of my heart for the idols of my ego. 
I would encourage you to search your heart, ask The Lord to help you to gently reveal blind spots of idolatry. 
Read the list above, what area are you feeling conviction? May you feel the Lords blessing as you take it to the the alter sweet friend. 

RUNDOWN: 
October 17th-23rd- 47 miles. 
Monday: 12.5 miles
Tuesday OFF
Wednesday-Cross train
Thursday-13 miles. 
UPCOMING events: 
Saturday 50K/50K for children's Cancer. I will be running a 50K for Kids with Cancer. 
Sunday Clarkston Backroads for FUN! 
In Peace Not Pieces,
Anita~

2 comments:

  1. I admire your wisdom and your ability to always put God first! Thank you for your beautiful words💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, Glory to God, He is on the throne!

    ReplyDelete