"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, April 20, 2020

Lost. Grubers Grinder

I'm just not one of those people that wear a T-shirt that says "I love hills"! I don't "Eat hills for breakfast" and I don't talk about how fun they are.
You will never see me climbing a hill and looking like I am having fun.
BUT what you will see is me huffing and puffing, grunting, whining and probably the ugliest face you have ever seen.
The list of things that I am not good at far exceeds the list of things that I am good at.
I am NOT good at running hills anymore than I am good at DIRECTION which proved itself today.
Yep, I passed this st stinking more than once! 

Holdridge, Grubers Grinder, East loop. 16 miles. 
I had this idealistic thought of running my favorite trail today. Grubers Grinder at Holdridge. It was a test.
To test my endurance and to test my strength as I continue to build both my miles and my body. The first 5 miles is mostly all hills.
This is a very technical trail saturated with switchbacks and hills. It doesn't have a lot of overall elevation but the hair pin turns, roots and rocks will have you picking up your feet or your face planting.

I was running very smooth and felt great for the first 7 1/2 miles. I had decided I would run steady, but not stop my Garmin, not even to eat or pee.
I was on track for a sub 3 hour run until I got turned around.
The problem with Trail Running is that every season the trail looks brand new, At least to me! I try to have markers planted in my mind, but my mind has a few handicaps.
I got so turned around today. I was fairly confident of my where a bouts until I came unto mile marker 9 TURNED AROUND. Then I was certain I had taken a wrong turn.
Due to the fact that so many people are saturating the trails, the side trails that used to be barely visible are as wide as the main trail.
I looked at my watch and turned around, only almost a mile later I discovered I was running the right way.
Between mile marker 7-10 there are multiple side trails. So of course I got turned around again!
I would be over 2 miles of extra mileage.
I considered calling the boys to get me. I had paced myself for 16 miles not 18.
Worst case scenario, I walk it in.
"I ain't no QUITTER" I heard Lacey in my ear. Last week, she did a bike ride that she thought was 24 miles but ended up closer to 35. I drove out to check on her and see if she wanted me to drive her home. But she refused to quit.
I just told myself to get to the next mile marker. I had slowed my pace way down. I was trying to ration my water. When I hit the 14.5 mile marker I was out of water and getting hot.
I was almost done. I assessed my body and was shocked how well I felt. Especially considering I had lost track on not only my direction but also how many times I had tripped! I only fully fell once catching myself on my hands. This is a sure way to know you are tired, you quit picking up your feet and start tripping.

"Don't try to rush progress. Remember- a step forward, no matter how small is a step in the right direction." Kara Goucher


You can see where I double backed on the trail. I had to stop my watch I was so confused. As  I looked at this sign like it was going to tell me to follow the Yellow Brick Road, I was sweating and confused when this biker came out of NO WHERE and yells "Have a good walk!" I was CRUSHED! Walking? I was RUNNING, SORTA! 
I actually had to call Andy to help me get through the last couple miles.  I needed a voice bigger than my own, so I even said some extra prayers. 

I DID IT! Over 18 miles, 3 hours and 17 minutes. I was grinning from ear to ear. 
Today, really helped boost my confidence. Now, I need to pull the reigns back a little. I can enjoy todays victory but not get too bold and break myself. 

It is a good reminder that you are making progress even when you don't know it as long as you don't quit. Todays run proved that. 
Most people quit right before something amazing is about to happen. 
The progress is happening as long as you keep going. 
Anita~
NOTE- Grubers, due to all the switchbacks only shows about 13 miles on your Garmin.

No comments:

Post a Comment