"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, July 26, 2026

The Canyons: WSER Part 3

 "For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."  Psalm 91: 11-12

Leaving Andy I felt revived. I also had a whole lot less clothing on. I had shorts on under my pants that now got to see the light of day along with only a long sleeve shirt as I left for Dusty Corners. 
The Canyons would be the hottest part of the course. The granite walls radiate heat back at the runners, making it feel even hotter. The canyons often climb into the 90's and get even hotter than 100'.  In this stretch I would have 3 major canyon crossings in just over 20 miles. I would descend thousands of feet into the canyons only to do it all over again. 
I was excited to see Kara and Lynn. They had been busy all morning packing up the VRBO and loading everything into the car. They needed to conserve energy too; they had a long night ahead of them taking care of me.
My legs felt foreign as I headed down to see the girls. I actually was able to run, no rocks, no creeks, smooth sailing just allowing gravity to pull me deeper into the canyons. Andy was hoping I could make up some time in this section. It was nice to run back and forth with some other runners and not have the fear of getting lost or eaten by bears! I settled into a comfortable stride soaking in every "free" mile before the canyons reminded me that nothing at Western States comes without a price. 

Dusty Corners -Mile 38
It didn't take long to understand why this aid station was called Dusty Corners. Everything was dry to the bone. A fine layer of grit hung over everything, especially my skin. Training in Michigan for mountains and canyons was hard enough but training for the heat I was encountering was next level. They kept advertising that it was the "3rd coolest Western States in 53 years".  
Even with the cooler temperatures, the heat was relentless. 
They had 20lbs of ice for EVERY runner! 
Oh when I saw the girls!
I couldn't strip my clothes off fast enough. I felt like my body was being dipped in boiling water. My belly was on the cusp of puking. I knew my stomach was as depleted as my energy. I had quit eating miles before I had seen Andy. I was forcing little niblets of food and water knowing I needed the carbs but afraid it would start the puking process. 
The girls came quickly to my attention along with my personal aid gal. I could only speak in one-word sentences. 
"I'm so hot.."
"Do you guys have a tank top?
"Oh NOO" I cried as my gut wretched. 
I tried to find a place to sit as the nausea finally won. 
It was here that I knew that ice was more than a luxury, it was a lifeline. "Ice...Ice rag.." I mumbled, remembering how much it calmed me down in Virginia for my 100k when I got sick in the heat. 
Then Kara and Lynn looked as pale as I was when they saw how destroyed I was. Kara literally gave me the shirt off her back! She gave me her tank top and without thinking clearly, I left the aid station without my poles. 
My headspace was just thinking I was going DOWN into the canyons even though I knew I had to come back up and out. Kara also gave me her ice bandana allowing my body and mind to cool off. I didn't have the time to hang out, I had to get myself together physically, I still had so much more ground to cover. 
I chuckled to myself as I pulled out, poor Lynn and Kara. They had never seen me so wrecked. I still had over 60 miles to go. They just witness me coming out of one hell-of a battle entering into another and the temperatures were still rising. 

Last Chance 43.3
NO Crew Access
It was mostly downhill leaving Dusty Corners going into Last Chance. Last Chance is the final major aid station before the infamous plunge into Deadwood canyon and the brutal climb to Devils Thumb. It would be my last opportunity to cool down, fill up and ice up. I knew I needed calories and tried to eat the ice coming out of the bandana. My lips were dry and my tank top that Kara gave me was soaked with icy water. I quickly got my wits when I realized I was on a ledge hundreds of miles up. I made sure to keep looking forward because the drop off was more unsettling than my stomach!
10 hours of running and I was only at 41 miles! I knew I had to maintain a 17-mile pace. and I was able to do it on the downhills, but the inclines were a different story without my poles.  
Maybe it was better I didn't have my poles. I am not sure, because one thing that snuck up on me was the ledge I was running. I had a couple runners behind me when I realized I was thousands of feet up. My knees went weak and everything went tingly as I hugged the canyon wall. I actually froze.

I stopped running to let the runners pass. I was so scared. One wrong step, one trip, one slip,,,my mind was racing and I was just trying to settle myself down and get moving. It seemed like I had barely enough room to run -let alone have my poles. I thought about when Andy and I backpacked the Waimea Canyon in Kauai. I got so scared I froze on the canyon wall and cried! 
I couldn't waste my valuable tears crying.  I just prayed for the Lord to give me courage and protection. 
"Keep moving Anita..." It was 3:44pm as I inched my way across the narrow ledges literally carved into the canyon walls. 
I could hear the energy through the canyon. I felt myself getting so excited, it was now 4:13 as I arrived at Last Chance. I had both my bottles emptied and actually thought I could swallow down some watermelon and possibly something with more substance. I definitely wanted more ice! 

Devils Thumb- 47.8
No Crew Access

I didn't hang out at Last Chance long; the clock was chasing me. As I descended into the canyon I could hear the river below. I had caught back up to the other runners. 
As I descended, the foliage grew thicker and the trees began to surround me. Their canopy offered a welcome break from the relentless sun. The air was still warm, but the shade 
gave me a little relief. 
Around mile 42, we crossed a bridge over the river. the water rushed below weaving through boulders and dancing between the massive pine trees, moving far faster than we were. It was breathtaking. I was able to embrace the beauty with joy especially knowing Devils Thumb was going to be brutal, but I actually had NO idea how brutal the "devil" was going to be. 
But first I would enjoy my descent down into Deadwood Canyon. 
It didn't take long as I started climbing to realize I was up Sh&#'S Creek without a paddle not having my poles. 
I would be gaining roughly 2,000 feet over about 3 1/2 - 4 miles. This would be one of my steepest and most grueling climbs in the race. Not to mention the exposed canyon walls had the sweat tricking down every square inch of my body. 
I think it was here, on one of these cliffs that I would go back and forth with a couple lady runners. 
FUN FACT: the race only consisted of 26% women. 

So, to see them, I wanted to embrace them. The women earned their place and fought hard to be there. 
On a cliff of extreme fear I searched for courage to look out and into the landscape. We were clinging to the side with sheer drop offs. I nervously giggled to myself as I spoke "My mom died at 52. I never thought I might to die at 52, but I really don't want to die on this mountain..." As the words escaped my heart, I knew that I was emotionally sharing some very personal glimpses of myself. But it was the opening to a very sweet conversation with the lady runner that had not very engaging. She shared some intimate details about her family that triggered her "WHY". We shared some miles before I felt brave enough to pass. 
6:58


I cannot even begin to describe the grueling next few miles. The demanding climbs never let up. The switchbacks up the walls were so steep I would try to push my legs to make them work. I would look up and see no end, I would feel my soul being pulverized. I would get a glimpse of movement from another runner only to get an idea of the magnitude of what agony was ahead of me. The unyielding climb to Devils Thumb was harder than anything I had ever done. The trail kept climbing as did my heart rate, my breathing and intensity of the climb. Without poles I was averaging a 26min/mi. and this was all my blood sweat and tears. Other runners were gaining on me and passing me. I was falling apart and my spirit was fading. Out of fear I started looking for a stick, something to aid in my trudge up. I saw other runners with sticks; I had no shame. I was desperate and fading. I saw a break in the sky, with a glimmer of hope I pressed forward to the top of the mountain. My feeble heart was sparking again as I made that last switchback. Only to be crushed as I turned the corner to see another climb right behind it. My legs were burning; my lips tasted like sweat and I swear I heard banjos calling me home. 
But what voices are we listening to? 
Because I also heard, "You have trained your whole life to climb this Devil..." I knew that the Lord had put me on this mountain. The details were anointed by God himself, and I was not going to quit on the Lord. He never quit on me, and I KNEW that He had a plan and a purpose for me in this race. I knew all the suffering, all the heartache, all the brokenness, I knew addiction, foster homes, abuse, cancer all of it had equipped me for this Devil. I would not let Devils Thumb have me. With God all things are Possible, and I BELEIVED that TRUTH. I also knew it was going to hurt like hell, but hell would not hold me. 
Depleted and numb I heard the victory cries of the Devils Thumb Aid Station echoing through the forest. I knew my family wouldn't be there, but I would get to see humans. The Lord had been really close the last few miles. We had many conversations allowing my heart to be complete in Him that I was not rattled to not have my crew. 

El Dorado Creek 52.9
No Crew Access
6:23pm
I was able to eat some watermelon and fill up my bottles. The aid stations were cup-less. I had been wanting some Coke for caffeine or ginger ale for my belly but couldn't get it because I didn't bring my cup. While running someone had dropped their silicone cup, out of desperation and gratefulness I picked it up off the trail like I found gold! This allowed me to enjoy some carbonated drinks. The sun was beginning to set over the mountains, and the temperatures were even settling down as I got to embrace the downhill towards El Dorado Creek about five miles. Aid station to aid station. Another station without family. My mind trailed off wondering what they were up to. If they would be able to keep me moving. It was closing in on 7pm and exhaustion was starting to take hold.
 
It was a bit creepy seeing the old sign of the famous "Deadwood Cemetery" About a third of the way down and a little reminder of the gold rush days. This 5 mile section was mostly downhill and the trail narrows but the quads were on fire. Approaching the aid station, I felt a shooting pain and knew it was the first of my blisters to blow. I have enough history and experience with blisters to know it is going to burn for about 2 miles, then it will go numb for a while.....But while it burst, I swallowed hard and just owned it with thankfulness that it was only my first one!

The sound of the rushing water at Eldorado Creek was so inviting. The volunteers were eager to cool you off, cheer you on and fill your tank, and they were amazing! 

Michigan Bluff 55.7 miles
7:40pm


I would get to see someone from my crew. I had no idea who, but in 3 miles I would be able to interact with my crew. But until then playtime was not over. Just coming out of the aid station I had another soul crushing climb. The trail literally points UP. However, the beauty that surrounded you also protected you from the burning sun. The pine trees were huge with the largest pinecones I had ever seen. I felt like so miniscule beneath the towering forest. As if the trees were swallowing me, I was just a babe in the ancient pines. As if the massive trees knew I was foreign, I felt they knew I was trespassing and had no business there, especially from Michigan. The trail cut deep into its comfort as it took mine away. My breathlessness was barely a whisper in the elements of agony. I had to go on facts, I knew this climb was not as far, but it was still about 1,800 feet in 3 miles. I had to keep moving, even if I was crawling. 
I lost my rhythm quickly. I was trying so hard to calculate my time with my pace. Adding in the time of day and try to figure out if I was still going to make the 30-hour cut off -if all I could do was a 30-minute mile. 
I had barely recovered from Devils Thumb and still without poles my legs felt like wobble sticks. My heart was beating out of chest like a boxing match and my breathing I think even made the forest feel sorry for me. 
I told the Lord, I wouldn't quit but prayed for perseverance. Or maybe I was begging at that point. 

Rundown: 

The canyons had taken more from me than I ever expected. They stripped away my comfort, tested my courage on the cliffs, and exhilarated me reminding me that Western States doesn't give anything away. You had to earn every mile with more than just strength. 
As the evening shadows shared the skies, I could feel the day catching up to me. Fatigue had tightened its grip and the miles were heavier with every step. But I pressed on with sheer faith and confidence that even though things looked bleak, I wasn't given up hope. 

Somewhere ahead was Michigan Bluff. 
Someone special would be waiting for me. 

The question wasn't whether I wanted to see them, it was whether I could get there before time slipped away.....

In Peace, Not Peaces
Anita



No comments:

Post a Comment