"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, December 26, 2022

Suffer now, success later.

"You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark." Bane

 


I bundled up in my 3 wintery layers, favorite running vest and trail shoes. I packed my gym bag with an apple and threw my hydration vest on top. I was over an hour later than I wanted and rushing out the door would mean the inevitable return to the house for something I forgot, like my new Vo2 mask. 

Andy forgot to give me a Christmas present. It was an Elevation Training Mask. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I laughed because I knew I would be crying later.

Layered up and ready to use my new training tool I headed to Holly Rec to run the Wilderness loop a couple times. 
As I put the mask over my face, I got tickled with a vision of Alec trying it on when Andy gave it to me on Christmas. Alec was doing push-ups, reciting popular Bane quotes from Batman. It was quite entertaining. 

I heard "You think darkness is your ally..." as I entered the trail. My footprints blazed the path with a smirk on my face as I hoped I wouldn't run into anyone with this goofy looking mask over my face. 


THE Mask: A Torture Tool 
September, I am running a race in Colorado, to prepare for the elevation and thinner air Andy bought me the mask. 
Not even 10 minutes into my run I was reciting my morning scripture, "I am your refuge and your strength..." because I was trying not to go into a full-blown panic attack. 
I couldn't get a full breath due to the restriction of air in the mask and it was at the easiest setting!  I have been training hills to prepare and I could barely run over a speed bump without walking with the mask on. 
My mind was racing, "How am I going to run over 5 more miles with this device strapped to my face?" 
I tried to calm myself down, even with my speaker cranking out my favorite tunes I could hear the desperation in my breathing. 
I wanted so badly to pull the mask off and toss it. I finally hit the first mile at almost 11 minutes. My mind was racing along with my heartrate as I began to make an endurance plan. I needed a plan or I would just quit. I knew I couldn't run the hills or I would never make it out of the woods alive.  I decided to go slow, walk the hills and try to stay calm. 
As I approached 2 miles, I could feel snot starting to drip in the mask, I had felt it but tried to ignore it as it rested on my lips, gross. I had to lift the mask and blow out my nose. Cold fresh air instantly filled my lungs like a lifeline. I felt like I was cheating and quickly put the mask back over my nose. I realized very quickly I needed to blow my nose again. I added to the plan more suffering, only once a mile would I blow my nose. 
As I came to mile 3, I knew I was on the struggle bus. I tried to run as fast as I could on the down hills because the hills were crushing me. I saw a man walking his dog and quickly tried to hide my mask because I looked like a weirdo. But a half a mile later I saw a lady snowshoeing and I didn't want to scare her, so I dropped the mask down and used that as a opportunity to blow another snot rocket. 
Mile 4 was pure agony, or I am a royal wuss. I felt like I was walking more than I was running. I couldn't get my heartrate to come down. It felt like when I had cancer and couldn't control my breathing. I tried to convince myself it was "good training". But then I felt like a masochist because I was in such agony. 
The one good thing about the mask was that it kept my face warm. I tried to think of all the positives. I coached myself into believing how benifial this would be for Run Rabbit Run. 
"SUFFER Now Anita for SUCCESS later." In my oxygen deprived brain I was pretty impressed with my new mantra. 
Almost to mile 5, I saw another hill and began whining as I saw a biker coming down. I grabbed the mask and yanked it under my chin. The guy was really nice and motioned me to keep moving up the hill. He had no idea I wanted to stop and let him pass in weakness, I forced a smile "Thank you, have fun" I faked cheerfulness. But then I got tickled at his response, "You too kiddo"! 
Out of site I quickly tugged the mask over my nose and giggled. 
"Kiddo" baa haa, not too bad for 49 years old! I haven't been called "Kiddo" in 20 years and I definitely didn't feel like a "Kiddo" in my agony. 
Mile 5 came with intensity. That last mile the trail had more traffic on it making it difficult to trudge through. I realized due to the mask I hadn't drank any water or eating anything all morning. 
I came up on a couple with 3 dogs. I saw them before they saw me making it easy to conceal my mask. I was more worried about the dogs freaking out on me with it on. But as soon as I pulled it up, I detected a problem, I couldn't hear my breathing and I wasn't winded. Cold air seeped into the mask, I reached my fingers up and noticed I lost my screen. I was bummed out, I put my fingers over the hole to continue suffering the last mile. My legs felt drained, I was so tired I tried to count my distance to distract me. But with my hand over my face, I made a turn, and my wobble sticks went in a different direction and down I went. I am always trying to find the silver lining and hidden behind the mask I smiled because my fall was cushioned by the snow, and I jumped up quickly to finish. 
Seeing the opening in the trail was like heaven opening up to welcome me home. I hit my watch and ripped that mask off. 
I went to my truck and joyfully tucked the "training tool" in my bag and started my watch for another 6 miles. 

WILDERNESS Trail 12.03 miles
  • First 6 miles: 1:15
  • Second 6 miles: 1:07
  • Total time: 2:22:27
  • Training effect: 4.7
  • Average pace: 11:50
  • Average heart rate: 140 
  • Max heart rate: 165
  • Elevation: 1,093
  • Time in Heart Rate Zones: 
  • *Zone 3: 40:02
  • *Zone 4: 1:19:46
  • *Zone 5: 10:19 
  • Run Time: 2:04:18
  • Walk time: 15:51
  • Idle Time: 2:18
  • Calories burned: 1,055
RUNDOWN: 
"I was wondering what would break first-your spirit...or your body" Bane


Running in the mask today triggered my running with cancer. I couldn't get control of my body. I struggled to control my heartrate, my breathing and even my energy escaped me. My thoughts were intense with fear as I felt myself on the edge of mayhem. I refused to quit. 
With snot dripping down my nose, my eyelashes frozen together, my lungs ready to burst, I refused to break. 
My spirit or my body? It's going to have to be my body. My body has been broken MANY times. I have had people try to break my spirit; I have even had people tell me it is good to be broken. But NO! Only the Lord has that power. 
My spirit or my body? My body is powered by His spirit in me. My Faith. My Trust. My Reverence to Him. My Hope. My Love. 
His Grace. His Mercy. 

Desperately seeking TRAINING tips FOR running in ELEVATION!! 

Has anyone else ran in a Elevation Mask? 


In Peace, Not Peices,
Anita~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment