"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Yeti Ultra Challenge Virtual Madness

The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.      Arnold Palmer
There are so many ways to make things work. It is your attitude and perspective that points you there.

So many things are being cancelled. Sports, plays, concerts, vacations, races, weddings, and the list could go on for chapters.
I am taken back at how incredible most everyone have rolled with it and made the best out of these difficult seasons.
People have created Zoom meetings, they have embraced their family more, they have found a different way of living the best they can.

I am sad that so many races have been canceled but I very encouraged by how the running community have gotten so clever at virtual races.

When Andy suggested we try to do the Yeti Ultra 24hour Challenge I was a bit skeptical.
I just wasn't sure if my knee would be able to accomplish 31 miles.

THE RULES;
*You had 4 weeks to run, you chose the date.
*Run 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours.
*6 loops, you have to add a little extra to get a 50K.
*It is virtual, you can run anywhere you like but it has to be EVERY 4 hours and you can pick the time you want to start.


OUR PLAN: 
*Saturday, May 2nd
*Loop 1- 8am. Loop 2- 12pm. Loop 3-4pm. Loop 4-8pm. Loop 5-12am. Loop 6-4am.

MY PLAN: I love running but running is not my only passion. I am Mexican, we are very passionate people!
I really didn't know if I was going to be able to run the distance even if it was over a 24 hour period.
I love the challenge of trying but I also loved the idea of dedicating each loop to a cause or a passion I had. This dedication would challenge me to not give up. It would remind me that I was not just running rather I was running for something bigger than myself.
I had made signs for each loop I dedicated. I even had a different outfit to match.
Originally, I wanted to start at 7am. Andy wanted to start at 10am. But when I saw another runner I knew was also doing it the same day at 8am, I convinced Andy to start at 8.
Even though we would not be running with Christine, we would be virtually running with her and this would be a blast to encourage each other.

MY CONCERNS:
I would jack my knee up more than it is.
I wouldn't be able to run the 31 miles.
I was prepared in my mind to walk if I had to.
Andy was going to put the pressure on me to run faster. He's a bit competitive.

Lap ONE 8am: Support Local: Complete Runner is my go to for shoes. They have been awesome at supplying us with whatever we need to run with during Quarantine. Last October my friends had a fundraiser for me and Complete Runner was very supportive. I wanted to remind everyone to remember those local stores and give a shout out to Complete Runner.
I had Andy do a Facebook live video before every run. It was SOOO CRINGE!  In one video you can literally hear Andy giving a sigh of annoyance, its really funny.
Our 8 am run route was from the house. I had a hard time winding up. But when I heard a scream down the back road to discover it was my friend Rachel, my heart skipped a beat. It was so fun to see her out there.  And even though I was smiling, it was a struggle. When we got home, I went to the deck and fell asleep in the warming sun for about an hour.
5.21miles 9:00/mi
Lap TWO 12pm: Juvenile Diabetes. My little cousin in Iowa was recently diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes.
Along with her cousin, diagnosed at almost the same age. My cousin was born with type 1 diabetes, and my running partners son was diagnosed a few years ago. This is a chronic condition and very stressful on the entire family.
Our second loop we drove out to Holly Rec to run the Wilderness Loop. It was noon and already over 70'. The park was packed. Without shame I ran through the woods in my Minnie mouse skirt that Lacey made me for a Disney race I did a few years ago. Boy, did I turn heads on the trail! I forgot what I was wearing until I would get a double take or "I like your skirt!".
Still struggling with fatigue I cuddled up with Sheba and fell asleep again.
5.81 miles 10:45/mi
Lap THREE 4pm: Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. One of my biggest supporters was my Aunt Lois in Iowa. She is a hero of mine battling and surviving this cancer. She sent me a card EVERY WEEK. So much Love. My manager also is a 20 year survivor!
I needed to change it up every loop. I thought it would be fun to run a loop by Laceys house. I ran with a cow bell in my hand. The loop to Laceys is very hilly, mixed with a head wind and temperatures reaching 80' definitely added a challenge. I was ringing my cowbell loud and proud as I approached her house. I could see her outside trying to figure out what she was hearing. She came out to the road to cheer us on. This put a big smile on my face preparing me for the 2.5 miles back home.
When I got home I made the family dinner, keeping it light, a piece of grilled chicken and some roasted potatoes.
5.01mi 9:13/mi
Lap FOUR 8pm: Breast Cancer. Sadly, I have now come in contact with so many that have been diagnosed. Ashleigh, Kris, Alice, Cindy, my husbands Aunt Pat, my cousin Lila and I honored my cousin Angelita who lost her battle at 32 years old.
Dressed in my favorite pink tutu compliments of my friend Sarah we drove to Rose Oaks. Andy let me through this route out at the last minute. It was 8pm, the sun was setting and I was feeling the 16 miles on my legs. My knee was getting achy. I told myself I was more than half way there. I told Andy we would be adding walk breaks. It was time to slow down. But he brought music, so unfare. I am easily triggered by tunes. Janis Joplin was crying "Take a lil piece of my heart...." and I looked at my 9min/mi pace and new I was going to be in the hurt locker. "WALKING!" I would shout to bring my pace down but it didn't help that much the damage was done.
5.01 9::16/mi
Lap FIVE 12am : Addiction Ministry. Very dear to me. Losing both parents to addiction by 18 just isn't fare. So much was stolen from me so young. As for me, I chose to live a drug and alcohol free life. I love my sober life.
 I laid on the couch prior to running but my eyes never closed. I was so excited to run. I only had 10 miles to go. My body was warmed up, I took some Motrin for my knee and hoped for the best. As we were getting ready Andy jokingly asked Austin if he wanted to ride the bike and go with us. He said YES! I put a backpack on Austin with speakers and a head lamp. I was super stoked. Another fun loop. And again I had to remind Andy to slow down before we even started.
As we walked down the driveway I saw something up ahead. Then I heard all this screaming. Lacey, Melissa and Alex her daughter came out with glow in the dark signs to cheer me on at MIDNIGHT!
I seriously have the best friends ever! As exhausted as I was it was hard to not be giddy with Austin riding the bike jamming music and my girls cheering me on. The girls got in their cars and met us on the back roads and even drove next to us as we were almost home.
I was wide awake when we got home and ready to knock out that last 5 miles. But first...ICE. I put my knee up, took some more Motrin and iced my knee praying it would give me 5 more miles at 4am.

5.01mi 9:29/mi
Lap SIX 4am: Dedicated to Team SquishyToes, my Friends, my family, all those who were supporting and praying for me, mom, Holly, Gina, Leeanne, Deb Rachel, Chris, Lacey, Erin, Melissa and the list goes on. I had gotten so many incredible messages and texts throughout the day. It was SOO ENCOURAGING.
I had laid in bed but I never slept. I was too excited. We had been in contact with Christine every loop and she was killing it. I found myself excited to check in on her as she was running her own race. I put on my final outfit, limping as I hobbled to the dresser. I was nervous. "Andy, we might be walking this one...." Andy didn't hear me, he was in a bad way struggling in his sleep deprived self.
I chuckled to myself, Andy was a hot mess.  It was 60' at 4am. No one was meeting us for this early morning run. Andy was waiting for me to do my last Facebook Live video. He was too tired to make fun of me as he videoed my ridiculous self.
"You got this Andy!" I tried to motivate him as I gimped down our dirt road onto E. Holly. I knew I just had to warm up and my knee would loosen up.
The evening was so incredible. We owned the whole road. I ran in the middle of the road. Andy wanted a easy, flat out and back. I turned my music up to get the juices flowing. My knee loosened up and I found myself running a sub 9 min/mi. This wasn't flying with Andy. "I thought you were going to slow down, you said your knee was hurting...." It was horses to the barn for me. My adrenaline was pumping as the finish came closer and closer. My legs were warmed up but Andy was worn out.
I was singing and dancing  in the middle of the village. We made it back to the house before 5am.
I DID IT! My knee held up, THANK YOU LORD!
5:01 9:35min/mi

In closing: 
We put fresh sheets on the bed during the day to have that lil bonus waiting for us. We both took our second shower before crawling into bed. Andy was out within minutes, Me, I never fell asleep. By 8am the sun was way to bright and I quit fighting it. I got up, made coffee and started washing windows!
My knee, I iced it and babied it Sunday. I piggy ba
cked my virtual races. I also signed up for my first run streak, The Head Goat. You have to walk/run/hike 1 mile every day. Monday I had to at least walk. But still no running!
Today was my first run. I decided one loop at Holly Rec was enough. I am glad I had a little self control!
If you would have told me I would be running 31 miles 9 months post chemo, post cancer, post a blew out knee, I would have told you, YOUR CRAZY.  I was not sure about this, but I had to at least TRY. YOU GOTTA TRY!! No excuses, do something EPIC!
“Don’t limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.” Anonymous


Thank You everyone for your support and encouragement.
Anita




No comments:

Post a Comment