"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Excessive Sweating

Holy Stinking Heat WAVE!
The weather for Michigan has been in the 90's. The last week is a sure fire way of getting acclimated to the heat. Normally it takes at 3 least weeks for our bodies to adjust to the temperatures. I would say I am there.
I ran in 93' temps today and was barely sweating. NOT that I wasn't hot, fatigued and feeling wimpy.
I was able to run 10 miles right smack in the middle of the day. Not too brilliant.

My Precautions running in the heat:
  1. Took walk breaks every mile: this allowed my temperature to come down, preventing me from overheating.
  2. Brought my pace down. I was NOT running record speed by any means today.
  3. Water and electrolytes: I kept my body hydrated prior to running and I was very intentional about drinking. I brought some electrolyte tabs with me and added them to my last 5 miles. 
  4. Route: I picked a route that would be out of the blazing sun. However, it was a toss up with as many bugs that attacked me on the backroads. My route also had a place I could refill my water.
RUNDOWN:
Distance: 10miles
Pace: 9:46/mi
Time: 1:34:54
The route was rather hilly. But I know I needed the elevation. I did run 2 miles in the scorching heat. Surprisingly, I handled it OK. I will say, running at 12:30 in the afternoon is not a real brilliant idea. I am not sure I could have ran too many more miles before I found myself hitchhiking.

The worst part of the heat is how you sweat and stink. Being a girl I think it is just plain NASTY that we are capable of smelling like a man.
Lacey and I ran one day at Holly Rec. After our 9 mile run on trails and backroads we were both making fun of each other. I have NEVER "NOTICED" getting sweaty shorts. I have seen this phenomenon happen to many men, and even several woman...BUT NOT ME.
WEll..... There is a First for EVERYTHING!   We both "Broke through"!


REMINDER: Make sure you drink Gatorade or Chocolate milk after a hard run. It is important to replace what you have lost within 30 minutes of you run. I like to make a smoothie. I also have an apple, watermelon or a popscicle handy just to feel refreshed.
If you want to recover properly after a hard run in the heat remember to HYDRATE throughout the rest of the day.

What is the Hottest you have ran this year??

Anita~

No comments:

Post a Comment