"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, July 24, 2023

Keeping up NOT Competing

 "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong, the amount of work is the same." Carlos Castandeta
Us four standing up all cheering for Amanda at Ode. 

A few more than 50 days till Run Rabbit 50 miler. I am approaching peak week here shortly, consisting of even more miles, more sweat and more suffering. 
This is the time when training and life become a balancing act. Life doesn't get any easier at 49 trying to juggle work, training, family, and daily adulting. 

The problem with 49 is that I am working harder to just maintain my level of fitness and still dream BIG. At 49 seeing "gains" is a place I can journey as long as I lift the requirements I had in my yesterdays. 
At 49, I have to be more intentional about my recovery, both in rest and nutrition. 
At 49, I have to embrace my training with contentment. Finding joy even when I miss the mark. 
At 49, I have to learn to give myself more grace on my runs. I am learning to let go of being so hyper focused on my pace and learning to let those numbers go. 


This weekend, Andy and I were at Holly Rec camping, volunteering and running. One morning we slept in and didn't start our run until late morning. By the time we started we were already sweating just from tying our shoes! 
Andy wanted 8-10 miles but of course all I heard was 10 MILES! 
I am sure we were both dehydrated BEFORE we started running. On average a man should be getting about 15 cups of water a day and women are recommended about 11.5 cups and the truth is the only way I really like my water is with coffee beans in it! 
Andy and I were more prepared for our run carrying hydrations vest and salt tabs along with nutrition. 
The sweat quickly soaked our clothes and mentally began playing head games with us. It is so easy to beat yourself up when you feel miserable and are struggling. Learning to crash the chatter of negativity and give yourself grace is where running in the heat makes all the difference. 

"In THE HEAT of the Moment"
RUNNING your perceived effort is where your attention needs to be not your pace or your milage. 
It is said "When the temperatures climb your pace shouldn't." 
5 tips for running in the heat:
  1. It takes 10-15 days to acclimate to the heat
  2. Wear light colored clothing
  3. It is normal for your heart rate to spike as our bodies are trying not to overheat, allow yourself about 10% pace drop in the heat. 
  4. Run early or run late
  5. Hit the trails! The temperatures are always cooler in the woods!
"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a catcus but you don't have to sit on it." Joyce Meyer

All the tips in the world can be given to you but it's what you entertain between your ears. I continued to encourage Andy as we fought for each mile and tried to convince him how good he was doing in the heat. But the bottom line is-we were SUFFERING. 
I am at that point in life I am just trying to KEEP UP. I am not trying to break any records and I am not trying to get myself BROKEN. 
With Run Rabbit approaching I am trying to find a balance with even my suffering!
Todays notification! 


"Keeping UP not Competing" 
Me, Shirly, Mark ad Sarah all running Run Rabbit 50M


This weekend I was with the group I would be traveling to Colorado with. We have a large crew running the 50 miler. 
They are all doing epic things and are mostly all younger than me. I am fighting for miles and fighting my age with everything I have, 
Today, when we ran, we really didn't have a solid plan. Maybe it was a Monday thing but there was a lot that was lost in translation! 
So we just took off to run. When we made it back to our car we decided to run the stairs at Holly Rec to get to 10 miles. 
I had asked my running partner how many times the runners had to run the stairs to get 50 miles. 
It sounded a little competitive coming out of my mouth and I quickly said, "I am not competing I am just trying to keep up..." 
Even after we had shut off our watches took off our vests and even headed to the car to leave, I knew I needed more. 
I was hot, I was gross with woodsy stench, but I was back by the steps and we were challenging ourselves for another mile of hill repeats, another 7 times climbing with over 1500 feet of elevation for the day! 

I have some incredible runners that surround me. I am inspired and motivated by many. 
  • Tina P, who ran her first 100 miler a few weeks ago!
  • Amanda S who ran a backyard marathon this weekend getting over 44 miles and looked amazing!
  • Andy, my hubby who I love having next to me running, watching him come back from injuries and not give up. 
  • Christina B who just ran over 200 miles last week, training through cancer treatments and crushing it. 
I could go ON and ON with runners who inspire me, motivate me and encourage me. 

But most importantly, I need the LORD to encourage me, strengthen me and prepare me. I love RUNNING, but it has to be onto the LORD. I give HIM all the glory for all the miles. 
I am humbled every run, praising HIM even in my suffering. 

In Peace, not pieces,
Aanita

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminders about being flexible with the heat and humidity. It’s been sweat city over here!
    Let me know if you’d be interested in pacing me to a 1:59 half in mid-November. I’ll pay your entry fee :)

    Michelle the former non-runner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle!! Of course I would!!! I would be honored.

      Delete
    2. Sweet! How should I contact you with the details?

      Delete