"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, May 1, 2023

Trail Weekend: Your name is Matthew



I get so excited when I sign up for a race. It usually becomes a "thing". 
I like the training.
I love picking out my outfit. 
The pre-race dinner is always fun, especially because I like to eat!
Destination races are fun because it becomes a mini vacation. 
Most trail races are near a park making camping part of the adventure. 

Running races become an event, planning, playing, engaging with others, great vibes, good people and of course the suffering in which that too becomes oddly part of the package. 

My whole heart goes into these races. 
Trail Weekend 50K was no different. I trained, I planned, I got us a campsite at the state park, I even invited friends to join us camping and register.  It became a "THING". 


"Your name is Matthew"
Trail Weekend 50K is in Pinckney. 
8am start. 
The Gang: Rachel, Melissa, Erin, Joe were meeting Andy and I at the start line.  
I was a mess when I realized I forgot socks! It rained ALL night and all I had were no show socks. I sent out a distress call the night before allowing me sleep a little better, 4 hours! 
I showed up at Rachels camper at 6:30am to braid my hair and she actually had a pair of compression socks I could borrow. 

We headed to the race to meet the rest of the gang. Andy and I walked down to get our bibs and sign our waiver. ONLY Andy said my name was NOT on the roster. 
My stomach swallowed itself. My ears began to ring and I felt nauseas. 
Words came stumbling out of my mouth in panic. 
THE RACE had been SOLD out for a couple weeks AND there was NO same day registration! 
I scrambled through my phone to find a confirmation email at the same time of getting in the line for runners with issues. 
No email confirmation. 
"Anita, you never registered..." 
Here I am a feeling myself wanting to cry. All the work, all the training, all the preparation, this made forgetting my socks look like nothing. 
When it was my turn, which felt like FOREVER as the clock was ticking, I shamefully tried to explain my blunder. 
Joe, took the liberty of capturing my very pathetic position! 
I look so sad and like little orphan Anita. 

Andy had to intervein my communication because it was so painful to watch and listen to. 
The lady just stared at me. The race was starting in 20 minutes. I felt my eyes begin to well up like a child asking the teacher if they could turn their assignment in late. 
It was my fault, my blunder, I could hear myself realizing there was NO WAY I would be able to RACE. 
Those few seconds felt like forever when she responded, "You know what, this guy just came through and dropped down from the 50K, you can have his bib, your name is Matthew." 
I was speechless and then realized I had NO money on me. I relayed my cashlessness to her and very quickly and kindly she says "It's OK, don't worry about it, come back after if you want, but no worries..." 
I WANTED to bust out in a happy dance, shout Halleluiahs and of course clean out my shorts because I thought for sure I pooped my pants in all the dread. 
I bolted out of there to get ready for the starting line! 

Potawatomi Trail. 
The skies lifted for a beautiful day to play on the trails. My goal was to BEAT last years race, I wanted to finish in under 5h 50min. 
That would be me trying to maintain a 11:17min/mi for 31 miles and 3100ft of elevation. 

The space between your ears is very powerful. Before we ran, our group gathered together and we prayed. 
I humbly give God the glory for making a way when just minutes prior there seemed to be no way I would be running for no one's fault but my own. 
The course is 2-half marathon loops and 1- 5 mile loop of agonizing elevation. 

The FIRST LOOP: 
I felt GREAT. My issues, shin and piriformis were not nagging me yet. 
About 5 miles in, this guy shouts out my name from behind me. Then proceeds to describe me with kindness. "..you probably don't know me, but I was hoping we could run some miles together, you are always so cheerful and happy..." 
He shares his running friend, Sean Cummings with me and then I knew who he was. I loved the idea of having someone to run with me. 
We both had very similar goals. 
The trails were busy with over 200 runners and slippery from all the rain. 
We discovered we had about 5 people running with us making it even more fun. 
My hydration hose had sprung a leak, I was out of water and my shirt was drenched. I hated that I would have to stop to fill up my pack. It was crazy how fast we made the transition, our stop only cost us a minute! 
I knew I would have to do that at least 2 more times and the 3 minutes could be spared if I could keep pace.
When we came through our first loop, we lost all the gang but just me and my new friend, Trevor. 

13.1 mile split: 2:21:37

The SECOND LOOP:

Trevor took the lead this time. I was so thankful. It took the pressure off me and I could feel myself losing a gear. 
We both agreed that we would run smooth trying to keep pace, that the race would get serious at mile 21, until then we would keep having fun! 
Trevor is a man of faith. I got to talk about my faith and listen to his testimony. We both were in agreement that The Lord is in control of all things. 
About halfway through the loop I could feel my left leg get weak. I assessed my weakness, prayed and tried to realign my strength, only too late. My right ankle crushed underneath my weight. Everything went blurring as I tried to catch myself crashing into the earth. The woods trembled below me. I tried to get up, bleeding, bruised and praying I didn't break anything. 
"ARE you ok? I feel so bad, there was nothing I could do, I heard you fall...." Trevor asked. 
We walked a bit, but I knew I had to RUN. Trevor was my trail angel and brought me slowly back to pace. 
With less than a mile to go, I began noticing Trevor having issues with his right leg. We came trodding down another hill when he came to a stop. He was wincing. "Are you OK? Are you cramping..."  I asked.
We exchanged a few words but he told me to go, "your on pace, go!" 
I took off and told him I was praying for him, and I fervently prayed for him as I came out of that loop. 
26.2 mile split: 4:52:01

Last 5, SOLO.
All my issues were screaming at me. I was so grateful to see Rachel at the transition to encourage me.  I knew I had to get it together. I took a deep breath, and I prayed. 
"Lord, thank you, Lord thank you, please, give me strength to persevere through this pain. Lord, it is your strength in me, your power in me...." 
I can't say I felt any crazy miracles, until I started passing guys. Young, strong, strappy guys. Each one I cheered on; I encouraged them to keep going. I ran those hills till my lungs wanted to burst. I felt my heart pounding through my chest, my ears ringing, and my legs were numb, but I kept running. 
I kept my eyes pierced in front of me, towards the finish line. 
I didn't think about the pain or anything that would hinder my run. 
I focused on the GOAL ahead of me. I thought of this crazy gift God gave me for HIS glory. 
And I dug deeper. 
I came out of the woods passing another runner.  
The field was lined with people cheering us on.
It was a downhill finish, I picked it up and heard Andy screaming. I felt overwhelmed with love.
I just wanted to run to Andy. I was smiling, so happy. 
 

50K Finish 5:39:35
I took off 14 minutes from last year!!! 
27 seconds FASTER! By the grace of GOD go I!!


BIG SHOUT OUT to all those out there running, JOE ran on a twisted ankle to 28 miles. Rachel crushed her half marathon. Melissa and Erin ran the 5 miler, over 500 feet of elevation! Andy hit is sub 5 hour marathon and TREVOR finished 10 minutes under his goal with a time of 5:50! 

Great job to the rest of "CRU" Jeremy and Tanya!
And to Sara for running Proving Grounds this weekend!! 
Also Great Job Tiffany at Trail Weekend!


I came back to give the lady my credit card, I thanked her profusely. She only charged me 65$. She was so kind. 

Romans 8:28 "We know that all things work together for good of those who Love God, who are called according to His purpose." 

In Peace, Not Pieces, 
Anita

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Love you! You strength and faith are amazing ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me Anita to never give up! I need to get going again!

    ReplyDelete