"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Thursday, June 2, 2022

50 miles, Saddle Up.

 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


 
Will you be with me down the backroads in the middle of nowhere?
Will you be with me at the butt crack of dawn when most are looking at the back of their eyelids? 
Will you be with me after a hours and hours? 
Will you be with me even when I feel my courage is depleting? 

9 hours of running last Saturday, starting in the morning sunrise, with the dew still resting on the foliage I continued to pray. 
I was committed to running a 50 mile training run but I was nervous. Maybe even scared. 
I wasn't familiar with my surroundings, I didn't know my route, I wasn't convinced I could run 50 miles. All I was truly confident in were my prayers. My courage was sincerely in my faith God was listening to my prayers and the prayers of others. 

50-mile training run takes a bit of courage. There are so many things that can go wrong, and a few things did!
The Plan: 6am start finishing by 3:30pm, average of 11-minute mile total TIME. 
  • The first 25 miles: 9:50-10:15min/mi
  • Pick Andy up and run 10-10:30min/mi 
  • The last miles, solo, 10:30-11min/mi. 
(2 liters of water in my pack, oranges, pickles, protein bars, applesauce and Gu's.) 


I did the first 25 miles solo, heading down the back roads of Ottisville by myself. It was a 4-mile trek to the "Iron Belle trail" connecting Columbiaville, Otter Lake and Millington. 
I was so proud of myself when I made it to the trail without getting lost! I was smiling for a multitude of reasons when I arrived at the trail, I didn't get lost, the weather was perfect 55', I didn't get kidnapped or attacked by a dog and I found a clean port-a-jon!!
I just ran and smiled all the way to Millington and back. Play time came to an end after I had listened to Barn 45 and the heat began and I started accumulating sweat on my brow. 
My courage began to get softened with the battlefield roaring in my head. My strength was fading, and anxious thoughts were taking a grip. I tried to preach truth back into my head. 


I had eaten most of my food and drank almost all my water but the one thing I had not done was turn on my tunes. 
That music and the power of prayer put a little pep in my step as I made it back to our campsite. Andy was incredible, he was sitting at our picnic table waiting for me with potato chips, more oranges, pickles, Vernors, Gatorade, it was a ultra runners dream buffet. 


THE SECOND 25:
I was soo delighted to have Andy. I loved having some company and encouragement. Andy had his watch set up for walk breaks, giving me something to look forward to and break up our miles. We had fun running back to the trail only this time going the opposite way towards Millington. 
Andy shared with me he would be with me for 17 miles, this was such a surprise blessing. I felt that courage coming back. I felt like the Little Engine Who Could as we knocked out one mile at a time. 
It was fun until it wasn't as unfortunately, we both BONKED, I was around 38 miles and it was UGLY! Andy was running out of water, the heat was baking us, we were both out of food and we were not feeling any romance in this running date anymore! 
Andy found a gas station and bought me a bag of pretzels and water to get us back home. I literally ran carrying my big bag of pretzels and it was like it was manna from Heaven. 


My Last 8. 
By the time we arrived back at the campsite I was green with envy that Andy was done. He asked if I wanted to sit down for a minute. OH did I EVER!!  I knew I had to keep moving. I knew I had to dig deep those last 8 miles. 
Everything was beginning to wear down. My mood was worn down, my strength was worn down, my energy was worn out, my heart rate was the only thing I couldn't get to come down!
I took off down Farrand Road heading to M15 to do 4 miles out and back. 
It was hotter than Haiti. Full sun beating on my tender skin. I ran a little, walked a little, a couple times I had to stop all together under a tree to get my heart rate to come down. 
I had several friends reaching out to me to check on me. This meant so much to me. The encouragement and thoughtfulness helped me finish it in.  

Be Strong and Courageous. The Lord was with me. He never leaves me. Even when I fell apart, even when I was weak, even when I lost my mind, even when I felt fear creeping in on me, even when I have these wild and crazy dreams!!

Glory to God, very thankful for Gods provision over me. 


“Courage is being scared to death … and saddling up anyway.” —John Wayne

In Peace, not Pieces
Anita~

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That’s an amazing run!! Great job!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle!! I miss you. You know, you have always stayed close to my heart! Thank you friend, xoxo

      Delete
  2. My favorite verse ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is! We like a lot of the same!

      Delete