"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Discipline: The word of the day

The call came before the alarm went off.
School was closed.
I wanted to go back to sleep but I had made plans to meet Jeffrey at the gym at 8.
I sent him a confirmation text. We decided to push it to 9am.

I was up. Coffee time, quiet time.

With my extra sweet and creamy cup of coffee, I snuggled into the recliner to read my devotionals. I always have an array of highlighters, pens and my personal favorite, fine tip sharpies. I underline my favorite words and highlight the inspiration that speaks to me.

DISCIPLINE.
Noun
1. the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.
  • the controlled behavior resulting from such training. 
  • activity that provides mental or physical training. 
Definition compliments of SIRI. 


DISCIPLINE: Todays topic.

Hebrews 12:11 “For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

It spoke to me when Jeff cancelled all together....GET up NITA...MOVE
I moved all right, deeper in my fuzzy blanket.
It spoke to me when I had foul thoughts cross my mind. Nita, think on kindness.
It spoke to me when I saw I missed Laceys call. I knew she wanted to run.
I NEEDED to be disciplined and RUN.




Today was about getting my feelings under control.
I DIDN'T FEEL like RUNNING.
I FELT like staying in my jammies all day.
I FELT like it was a good day for a snow day for me as well.

Sometimes we JUST DON'T FEEL Like it.
We don't feel like dealing with something.
We don't feel like returning that phone call.
We don't feel like taking care of that daunting issue.
We don't feel like parenting, working, or even adulting.

We come up with a million incredible excuses to justify our "FEELINGS".
Oh we are soo good. We can even manipulate ourselves.


But it comes back to Discipline.
Being even disciplined to control those feelings. To override them, dig deep, pull up your bootstraps, and GRIT IT OUT.

Discipline OFTEN is painful.
Oh it hurts to deal with LIFE.
It hurts to deal with that teenager self destructing.
It hurts to apologize and swallow that pride.

It hurts to crawl out from the fuzzy blanket and run in the rain.

But you know what HURTS MORE.
Making excuses and getting stuck on stupid.

You do nothing...that's exactly what you are going to get...NOTHING.

The RUNDOWN:
Distance: 6miles
Location: backroads
Time: 1:09
Pace: 11:28min/mi

I write this laughing out loud.
"AHHHH" I shrieked as my legs came out from underneath me.
"NITA, can't you see the shiny stuff where the ice is?"
Everything was ice. It was a total slip and slide.
I slipped countless times, my arms flailing in the air like a mad man. If Lacey was close enough I would have grabbed her and took us both down.
PACE? We gave that up. We decided to just get our miles in.

We could hardly put one foot in front of the other. And every time I slipped, I would pee my pants from laughing and being soo startled. This just made me laugh more.

It might have been the slowest run ever, but we had fun, ran a lot of hills and made sure an older lady made it across the icy street.
OH, OH...and we GOT it done!


Michigan Barns. So beautiful.
"Lacey, look there is a little stream in between the barns, isn't it pretty?'
"Ahh, Yeah, that's just where the snow is flooding..."

Laughter, friendship.
Discipline. 
Without Discipline my day would have been all together different. I would have missed out on these moments.
I would have missed puppy kisses from Marley. 

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment