"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Go East towards CRAZY.


"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
- Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

Could it have seriously have been a more beautiful day in Michigan?? I got into my car feeling a bit nervous as I was stepping out into a new experience.
I was meeting a bunch of runners for my 1st trail run experience. Pontiac Lake at 7am for 2 loops which equaled out to almost 21 miles. I accepted the invitation to run with this group of trail runners that I didn't know because it was a good opportunity. With my Ultra coming up in 6 weeks knew I needed to test my body on this terrain.
I was not surprised when I got lost less than a mile from the meeting place. I called one of the numbers to get back on track and laughed when they said "Go East ....." Ba Ha .."Go East.." Yeah right, I need landmarks, this guy has no idea how directionally challenged I am.
I was stoked to see a large number of runners show up, there were 11 of us at the start but 2 backed out. I was 1 of 3 girls out there.
I was praying my body was going to mesh with the trail. I ran in the middle of the pack and tried to soak up the conversations around me. I wanted to learn as much as I could from the group. This crew all knew each other and were very skilled in ultras and trail running.
Pontiac Lake is a technical mountain biking trail. Running outside the box today made me have to swallow some fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of new runners. Fear of really fast and skilled runners. Fear of being able to accomplish 20 miles on a trail. Fear of not getting injured. It is that fear that actually Fuels me. Fear can be a great tool to success. Or it can be a tool to defeat you. Failure is Not an option. I had to eat fear for breakfast this morning before heading out!

I am used to running with my head up and looking my route in the eyes. But out there the Trail owns you. You had better have a love affair with it and respect the path before you. She cuts herself deep in the ground and changes her look quite frequently. There were moments she was gentle on you but just as you got comfortable with her she would cough up large rocks, sand and roots turning herself into the Antichrist. She would wind you down and around like a wicked twisted roller coaster. The group walked over her when she displayed her nasty side.

On the second loop runners were starting to get tangled in her claws and tripping over her. One guy took a hard fall. I was getting nervous because it was always the guy in front of me.  As soon as I let my guard down she got a hold of me as well. I did my fair share of tripping and even twisted my ankle real good at about mile 17.

I finished my 2 loops. I Loved it! I felt pretty good but don't think I could have done another 2 blocks in Her grips. The down hills put a hurting on my knees. I didn't feel physically tired rather just knew my knees were getting weak. I knew that if I went much farther I may not have the power to defend myself from her wrath.

The group was awesome. I met, Veronica, Matt, Mike, Keith, Fritz, Hong, Paul..and I can't remember the rest! But I will say they all were very friendly and supportive. "No Runner Left Behind."!

Rundown:
Distance: 21 miles
Pace: 11:24
Hit the Gym for 15 minutes in the Cold Plunge. I couldn't get there fast enough. It was a devine appointment!
Back at it tomorrow!!! Another 20 something run! Prayers Please!

Anita.

No comments:

Post a Comment